guppies& zebra danios

1. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

anyone have experience keeping the two together? are they compatible?

some sources say they are others say they aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Yes and no! IF you get a nice school of say about 10 danio and a couple male guppies you should be fine. I've heard some stories about danio nipping guppy fins pretty badly thought. Its pretty hit and miss with these fish.

3. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

It's one of those things where it's possible but hard to do well for all the fish. If I were to take it on, I'm one of those die-hards who would kill myself trying to keep the pH around 7.5, KH around 10, and temp stable at 74 degrees F, none of which is easily done at my house :p

Balancing the reproduction of the guppies would be an additional factor with many variables.

4. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Would longfin zebra danios still nip?

I dont want to breed guppies so that wont be a problem :)

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

It's not just about the nipping. Each species has a different water requirement. Temperature-wise, they are fine. Behavior-wise, you're probably okay. But Danios like much softer water than what guppies prefer.

6. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

true, but fish can adapt to ph. im not going for the danios anymore after ive done some research.

7. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Fish that are forced to "adapt" to pH far outside their normal range tend to not adapt very well... they often end up unhealthy and die prematurely. Glad you're not going with danios and guppies in the same tank though :) Other south american fish do really well with guppies, if you're simply looking for fun, colorful tankmates.

8. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

hmmm whats an example of an south american fish? Like cichlids? Not quite sure. :confused: I have a high ph over here where I live.

9. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

How big of tank are you planning on getting? You could always do a African Cichlid tank if you have at least a 55g, 48" long tank. Or possibly a shell dweller tank if it is smaller? They prefer a PH of around 8.2, and don't really have too hard of requirements if you stock them right.

10. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

I would do a shell dweller tank and I've looked into it but there's no where for the babies to go so I would be stuck with an overcrowded tank.
    I think I'll just stick with a community tank for now.
    The two definite things are guppies, false julii corydoras and I need a schooling fish. Any recommendations?

11. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

No, better to combine guppies with other livebearers with similar KH needs but that won't hybridize (avoid Mollies and Endler's) unless that's what you want. Platies would work. I just wouldn't do baloon shapes as male guppies find them way too attractive ;)

12. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

All livebearers would work well, just make sure you get all males. Then there are no worries about hybridization since nobody will be able to mate with anybody else. Depending on your tank size you could stock guppies, mollies, platies, and swordtails. I would avoid Endlers as they are even more likely than the guppies to try to mate with the other fish, regardless of species lol.

Depending on your pH and tank size, you might want to reconsider the cories. They like softer water whereas the livebearers will prefer a pH around 8.

13. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

well if I were to reconsider anything it would be the guppies. The cories are the reason this tank is coming together and the reason it has sand as substrate any everything.

I don't feel like altering the ph because I have heard to many horror stories from when people do that. Id rather just let my fish adjust to ph while it's still in their range.

14. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Good idea, I have gold long fin zebra danio and my PH at home is right around 8.0 if not 8.2, they are fine. But I don't recommend getting danio with guppies. I'd get the cories and let them adjust!