Guppies With Some Sort Of Infection

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by mg13, Aug 12, 2015.

1. mg13Well Known MemberMember

Hey, I have some sort of stuff in my aquarium that is gross.. Some of my guppies, male and female have red spikes coming from their... underside... my oldest female Bean has it the worst and it looks like it's growing, more spikes are coming. gross. what is it and how do i get rid of it!?

2. AkiliValued MemberMember

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  3. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Hi, can you post a picture?

4. mg13Well Known MemberMember

hmm.. @Akili i see what you're saying, but i saw some pictures and the stuff mine have are more like spikes than worms. And eating is normal.

All my fry have white poo, but only a few have the spikes.

sorry I can't post a picture cause my fish move around too much.. here's something similar.

more spiky and not so long.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  5. AkiliValued MemberMember

you may want to try Wormer Plus with flubenol. This medication is effective against most internal worms and is very gentle, even on small fry. Two treatments a couple of weeks apart or you can use frozen bloodworms , place some worms in a shot glass with water and a very small amount of "Prazi Pro" . Let it soak for 30 minutes in the solution then feed. Once a day for 3 days. Repeat in two weeks

6. mg13Well Known MemberMember

Awesome! I will do that, thank you, I guess that's exactly what they got.. yuck, thanks again.

ok, I did a little research, it says that Prazi Pro does not treat these worms. the only medication that will take care of them is levamisole dewormer for fish.

what do you think about this? have you tried the Prazi Pro?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  7. mg13Well Known MemberMember

8. mg13Well Known MemberMember

Ok, so i bought this, it should be here any day, i'll keep this thread up to date on how they are doing,

by the way, the most infected female has died. The only one who has visible, (faintly) worms is one of the fry, so i am going to treat it, make sure it's all taken care of and then be able to donate all the babies to my LFS so that my tank is not overpopulated.

please understand I did not believe in overpopulation and am now aware that its true! i'm sorry I didn't believe you all, i'm working on setting things straight

9. AkiliValued MemberMember

We all learn from our mistake rest a sure you not the first or the last, wishing you a lot of success in the future

10. billerWell Known MemberMember

Hope you beat those nasty worms! Good luck!!

Sent from my P900/Q900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. mg13Well Known MemberMember

yeah, thanks you guys, they should be here today, quick question, I'm going to have a guy only tank, male guppies and only female platies. I am wondering if i should keep my favorite baby males, and have them as the stock or give them all away and start from scratch, like buying all new males. I'm leaning toward keeping my own but tell me what you guys think

and also, it's not possible that the male guppies will impregnant the female platies, right? can i have only female platies with only male guppies?

thanks for real you guys.

12. mg13Well Known MemberMember

I got it just a minute ago, I'm not going to be able to report the progress until Wednesday but keep your fingers crossed for me! lol

13. AkiliValued MemberMember

Guppies and Platies do not cross breed.Keep your own and be selective.

14. mg13Well Known MemberMember

been treating them for three days, missed one, didn't feed them on purpose so that they would eat the not-so-good-tasting stuff.

the worms are reacting, the ends are starting to look pail and flaky, (yuck) so I'm gonna keep it up until I see that they are gone.

15. KingDFishlore VIPMember

Hope all goes well and the worms go away for good. As per your stocking questions, guppys and platies cannot crossbreed as stated above. But if you dont want anymore fry, I would do all male guppies and all male platies as the female platy can be pregnant from the males you have now and will continue to drop fry.

Edit: Also, pick out your favorite males from the fry you already have. Its amazing watching them grow to adult size. You also know that they are healthy and strong fish since you rasied them yourself. I am doing the same and keeping my favorite males that I have raised

16. mg13Well Known MemberMember

Awesome, ok will do

one thing though, i like the female platies better than male platies. Females can only drop fry twice after mating, right? so they'll drop twice and have no more males, therefore not being able to get pregnant any more.

is that wrong?

17. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Female livebearers can store sperm for several months after mating, exactly how many is hard to say but more than just two months ime

18. billerWell Known MemberMember

I have heard that they can store sperm for 6+ months

Sent from my Z752C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. mg13Well Known MemberMember

why can you cross breed different dog breeds, but not different fish breeds?

20. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Dog breeds are all still the same part of species - Canis familiaris - so they can interbreed. Fish don't really have breeds - there are individual, unique species. Some closely related fish species can interbreed easily, but the fry aren't always fertile or healthy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice