guppies with really fat belly's Question

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by red020804, Apr 14, 2010.

1. red020804Valued MemberMember

i have four male guppy's. 1 turquoise, 2 orange, and 1 yellow. the turquoise was the frist guppy it happened to. it's stomach just got fatter and fatter. he hangs at the bottoms mostly but still moves a lot just in place. he doesnt rest at the bottom just swims there. he still comes up to eat and he eats as much as the rest of the fish. a month or so later our yellow guppy was sick and resting on the bottom just laying there and getting thinner then he got over whatever was going on there and started swimming around the tank and eating normal again except now he has gotten a really really fat belly as well even bigger than the turquoise guppys. now two days ago one of our orange guppy's bellies is getting fat. they all eat normal and swim around and their scales dont pinecone so im sure its not dropsy and they are diffidently males. i believe they are constipated and i fed them some peas yesterday. i've also seen them poop. so its not like they arent going at all. my question is should i feed them peas once a day everyday till their stomachs go down or what? they share a tank with 4 mollies and 2 phantom black tetras so i dont want to stop feeding them there regular meals. usually we feed them flakes in the morning and blood worms at night. plz tell me what to do because the poor yellow guppy looks like he could burst any day now.

anybody?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2010
  2. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Hi Red, I'm sorry your guppies aren't well.
    Please give members a chance to respond.
    Not everyone is logged in all the time.
    Sometimes it takes the right person to come along and to answer a particular quesion.

I hope things get better. :)

3. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Red,

According to your Aquarium Profile Information you are unaware of the Nitrogen Cycle. Link below. This is crucial to fish keeping.
    https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Too, it's highly recommended that an API (liquid) Master Test Kit be used to test for everything that is mentioned in the nitrogen cycle link. This kit will test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH levels.

Without knowing the readings for your cycle it would be difficult to say exactly what is wrong with your fish. They could be suffering from ammonia poisoning. Ammonia poisoning can lead to other issues. Any levels of ammonia in your tank can be harmful for your fish. The issues may not be immediate but they can suffer long term damage down the road.

Check out the link and look over the information. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,
    Ken

4. red020804Valued MemberMember

thanks i read about the cycle a while back. i dont completely understand it but i've been keeping track of the readings until recently when i ran out of test. but i hope to be getting some new test soon. currently husband and me are unemployed with no unemployment so money is way to tight. but we do water changes every other day to hopefully keep ammonia and nitrites down. last test we did nitrites were 0 and nitrates were 10. last time we tested ammonia we still had it but it had gone down from what it had been reading. it was inbetween the safe and stress level but was closer to safe then stress. i know any amount of ammonia is bad, but thats why we do the water changes and always treat with prime and we also put prime in for the days inbetween the water changes.

5. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

could you possibly post pics? thanks!

6. red020804Valued MemberMember

ok here are the pics of my fish after a water change. its still cloudy and i took the pics with my phone. the first two are the same yellow guppy. just different angles. you might notice his top fin and tail fin are messed up but when he was sick a while back he got nipped at a lot. the turquoise one who got fat first and is it normal for him to be arched like that? he has been like that since he got fat. the the orange one isnt as big but he has started getting a belly in the last few days.

Attached Files:

7. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

Can you put them in a different tank and fast them for about 3 or 4 days. I think they have been over fed.

8. red020804Valued MemberMember

wish i could but currently i dont have another tank that is cycled. im not even sure this one is cycled yet because i ran out of test.

9. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

were you feeding them frozen bloodworms or freeze dried?

10. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

I second the fasting thing, they can go a week easily without food, so fasting them a day or 2 might get things going. If it turns out that they are constipated then I've read that epsom salt will get things moving again, although I've never tried it myself, so take that advice with a grain of salt (pun intended).

11. red020804Valued MemberMember

they are freeze dried blood worms. i cant fast them because they share a tank with 4 mollies. one of them is pregnant and two phantom tetras. i just like to know how often do i feed them the peas to get there little systems going again if in fact they are constipated?

12. mcurtissdsuWell Known MemberMember

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/63330-camallanus-worms.html

You may want to read that thread just in case. My guppy's belly got pretty big and never went down. He always ate normally and swam around fine but his belly was always swollen. My angelfish began showing camallanus worms one day and, after going through the whole ordeal, I've come to the conclusion that my guppy is the one who had the worms first. Apparently, the worms can sometimes get backed up in the intestines of smaller fish and you can't actually see them. This can kill the fish. I don't know for sure if that's what is going on with your guppy but you can at least add that to your research :)

13. red020804Valued MemberMember

is there anyway to tell beside seeing the worms or the enlarged stomach. my husband and i are unemployed and we cant afford to buy medication for them if they dont actually need it. i looked at all of them and none of them have any thing sticking out of there anus. so im hoping constipation. i never got an answer to my question about how often to feed them peas so if someone can answer that for me i'd appreciate it. a little bit of good news. the turquoise guppies belly and shrunk slightly. :)

14. mcurtissdsuWell Known MemberMember

I don't think there's really any other way to tell. Just keep an eye on them if you can't afford meds. I guess I would just try feeding them peas. Hope everything works out :)

15. tvdsNew MemberMember

beautiful fish:;perfect