Guppies With Betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Zerologist, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Zerologist

ZerologistWell Known MemberMember

Hello guys. I would just like to ask if guppies can go with a betta?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Some say it can work, others say nope. Depends on tank size. I personally say no. What size is your tank?

3. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

I personally wouldn't do guppys with bettas. For one guppy's can be nippy fish. Also bettas like to go after brightly colored fish with long tails.

If you want a betta tank mate in a small tank (ten gallons and below) I would suggest nerite snails and/or maybe shrimp. It really depends on the betta if those will be okay. If you have a betta in a twenty gallon or bigger I would suggest a group of cory cats.

4. OP
    OP
    Zerologist

ZerologistWell Known MemberMember

Okay thanks. I'll go with snails... :)

5. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

White Cloud Mountain Minnows in a bigger tank. I have worked male Bettas into communities in the past, though.

6. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

I've seen it done with the wild (non-fancy) guppies and plenty of room in a 20 gallon, but the second they tried a colorful fancy guppy with a long tail the Betta went into full attack mode.

Basically you can't keep Bettas with fish that they could mistake for another Betta and even then it's a gamble.

If the male Betta is as aggressive as mine you can't keep it with anything that moves... lol. He will attack it.

@clk89 made a good point too. Many other fish will nip at the tail of a male Betta so you have to be aware of that as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  7. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't risk it. If you do try it get guppies with shorter fins (not the really fancy ones) and use a tank bigger than 20 gallons.

@MattS99 WCMM need much cooler water than bettas

8. Cycerath

CycerathValued MemberMember

i have a low aggressive female betta, she's had tank mates before. only reason she doesn't now is cause of an ich outbreak and most of the mates didn't survive the treatment :/ she'd probably be a good candidate for fish tankmates. it all depends on your betta's personality i guess. my halfmoon-dragonscale could never have tankmates outside of snails. he's too aggressive.

2 possible options. based on what i've heard/read and videos i've seen.

1. find out return policy. ideally you'd want to put the guppies in first, so betta hasn't set up territory. but 48hr return policies wouldn't allow for hospital tanking them for diseases. so i'd either float the bag or put them in a cup and see how your betta reacts. if he loses interest then that'd probably be your sign that it might work but if he continues to be aggressive then it's no good. there are other ways to go about this like floating the betta in the hospital tank to see his reaction there.

2. if you just don't want a big empty 10 gallon tank. think about getting a divider and having either the guppies on one side and the betta on the other. can also just get another betta and put on the other side. make sure there's no room for one to jump to the otherside though. you can always give the guppies more room than the betta if you want.

i'm still new myself but these seem like your best chances.

9. kamryn.alaina98New MemberMember

It all depends on your betta. I have a male crowntail that doesn't mind guppies, I keep about 3 guppy fry in his 10 gallon tank to grow out and he leaves them alone. However, these fry get fed to the male crowntail in a 5 gallon. He doesn't like roommates.

10. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

One of my female girls chomped on guppy tails so badly I had to move them to their own tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice