Guppies with a dwarf gouramis?

mrsalty1223

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 10 gallon with 5 guppies at the moment. I am interested in getting a dwarf gouramI but I have a few questions first.
1. Is this tank big enough for 5 guppies and a dwarf gourami?
2. Are they comparable? Will the gouramI bully the guppies because he is bigger?
3. What will he eat? And will he bully the guppies during feeding time causing them to get less food?
4. If the DG is not a good choice, feel free to give me your 2 cents on what a better option may be. Even if its just to leave the guppies with no other fish. I may get one or two more guppies if I decide another kind of fish isn't a good choice.

Thanks

Locotron

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
According toyou would be at 104% overstocked with those 6 fishes. With the 5 guppies you "are" at 90% but I guess they go with the traditional 1" of fish per gallon rule but if you have a planted tank and they have space to swim and you keep up with water changes and your fish are happy then it could work out but keep in mind that it will depend on what kind of gouramI because some of them tend to get aggressive and territorial and will prob nip fin in a 10gal. A 20 gal would be better as they would appreciate the swimming space tho.

Maxi1

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry, a dwarf gouramI requires a larger tank, I agree, at least a 20 gallon.

Tonia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dwarf gouramis may also tend to nip at those flowy tails of the guppies. I would say keep just the guppies in the 10g. At most, with good filtration, you could add a couple more guppies. this is assuming that all of your guppies are male. If you have mixed male and female, then you are already way overstocked as you will end up with hundreds of babies.

OP
mrsalty1223

mrsalty1223

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with guppies. Maybe put some shrimp in there. I'll wait until I have the room for a bigger tank to dip into different species.
Also, I do have only males. I don't plan on getting any females.

Thanks again

Sent from my AT300 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad to hear you decided not to keep them together. Guppies and dwarf gouramis have very incompatible KH needs. You don't need that kind of stress

OP
mrsalty1223

mrsalty1223

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's why I come here to ask. Thanks for the help again

Sent from my AT300 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

New Threads