Guppies Swimming At The Surface

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Few of my guppies are swimming on the surface constantly, rest of them are not. Is that normal? Or something needs to be fixed?

Adrian Burke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My guppies do this too. It’s nothing wrong, they just like hanging out near the surface. They did it more when they were new to the tank, now they’re not up there as much.

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Adrian Burke said:
My guppies do this too. It’s nothing wrong, they just like hanging out near the surface. They did it more when they were new to the tank, now they’re not up there as much.
Ahh..the new ones r doing it in my case.. right!!

Milliemae124 said:
Sometimes fish will gasp at the surface if there isn’t enough oxygen in the water
I turned on air stone..filter with air pump..

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry to bug u guys again...its been close to 5 -6 hours..they are still at the surface..fin movement is less

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are they eating? What are your water parameters?
Some of mine like to surf the current on the top level. But if yours are having problems, let’s try to fins out why. Pics would be very helpful.

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gypsy13 said:
Are they eating? What are your water parameters?
Some of mine like to surf the current on the top level. But if yours are having problems, let’s try to fins out why. Pics would be very helpful.
No they r not eating..just swimming slow and steady. Ammonia levels r fine..nitrite kit is yet to arrive. I did do a 20% water chnage as well
052c9599cc33e52d3f4d956e29677dae.jpg
576de87c120724588b3fc8f20499f0df.jpg
7bf10169538290bd8c698065432fde13.jpg

Some more
68656d37b99b51e2417943a484c9f345.jpg
731ca88c0c9c08ae107ee6bce02e9f9e.jpg

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gypsy13 said:
Hubby says they look beautiful. Not eating for how long? Which water conditioner do you use? Sorry. I’m just full of questions this morning.
I reduced the diet ..cause i lost one yesterday. I use prime, did add half a cup to my tank today morning..just for caution. Should i feed them?

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SSJ said:
I reduced the diet ..cause i lost one yesterday. I use prime, did add half a cup to my tank today morning..just for caution. Should i feed them?
If prime is overdosed it takes oxegen out of the water... Half a cup of prime is really alot!!! What size tank??

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Smalltownfishfriend said:
If prime is overdosed it takes oxegen out of the water... Half a cup of prime is really alot!!! What size tank??
45 gallon tank

Buganjimo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Prime can be dosed up to 3x the regular dose, but I think you went over that. Are you sure it was half a cup not cap? If it was a cap, you’ll want to do a couple pwc’s and dose the prime at lowest dose to lower the levels of prime.

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Buganjimo said:
Prime can be dosed up to 3x the regular dose, but I think you went over that. Are you sure it was half a cup not cap? If it was a cap, you’ll want to do a couple pwc’s and dose the prime at lowest dose to lower the levels of prime.
Sorry, i think i confused everyone, its half a CAP..hence it should not be an overdose

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From my experiences, guppies are naturally surface dwelling fish - look at their upturned mouth, they adapted to life at the surface.

In saying that, have you quarantined prior? Did you notice anything off prior to the introduction to the main tank?

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aussieJJDude said:
From my experiences, guppies are naturally surface dwelling fish - look at their upturned mouth, they adapted to life at the surface.

In saying that, have you quarantined prior? Did you notice anything off prior to the introduction to the main tank?
Nothing noticable. They were fine for two days..this thing started today

Sorry to inform guys, one of the blue tipaz is dying. I seperated him in a bowl which has antifungal and salt in the water. The other two bkue topaz are still swimming on the top...others r not showing these symptoms. Not sure whats wrong

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SSJ said:
Sorry to inform guys, one of the blue tipaz is dying. I seperated him in a bowl which has antifungal and salt in the water. The other two bkue topaz are still swimming on the top...others r not showing these symptoms. Not sure whats wrong
Are they eating? What is your water temp? Tank mates? How often water changes? If it was me, (no snails and few plants) I’d dose the whole tank with aquarium salt. Leave alone two days then do fifty percent water change. Keep feeding normally. After twelve hours, update us? Oh. Do good water change before adding completely dissolved salt.

SSJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gypsy13 said:
Are they eating? What is your water temp? Tank mates? How often water changes? If it was me, (no snails and few plants) I’d dose the whole tank with aquarium salt. Leave alone two days then do fifty percent water change. Keep feeding normally. After twelve hours, update us? Oh. Do good water change before adding completely dissolved salt.
Hav put them in a vessel. Only these two seem to be having.problems...

Gypsy13 said:
No. They are not eating at all

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom