Guppies Suddenly Dying Off Help

1. J

Jurassic Jac Initiate Member

Hello I'm new to Fish lore but am in drsprated need of some guidance, I have a large 230+ litre tank and all was great, however a couple of days I noticed two dead guppies at the top of the tank, so tested the water all was fine, small water change and stuff. New day two more floating on the top, this has been happening for 3 days now

I have loads of breeding guppies and babies, a pleco, a red tailed black shark and 3 black Tetras. All was done, never seen any aggressive behaviour or anything like that, although I do think some of the fins look a little nipped, but don't know if this is from the terra or black shark

Hope you guys can offer some advice or guidance,

Many thanks

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Could we see some photos maybe? Im not the best in guppys but can try to help once photos are in. Welcome to Fishlore!

3. OP
    OP
    J

Yes of course thank you for your help :)

Can see the fish in the last pictures looks like the dead ones and think he's on his way out :(

Attached Files:

4. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Hi! I have a couple questions:
    1) how large is the tank?
    2) can you post your parameters?
    3) what history of disease has this tank seen in the past 3 months (if any)?

Not a couple things I noticed:
    1) You put A TON on sinking wafers in that tank. why so many? how quickly does it get eaten? I have to imagine you have a lot of rotting food somewhere or your filter is going crazy.
    2) the last 2 pictures of the guppy are blurry, but it looks like early stages of fish TB (aka wasting disease). this can be transferred to humans so make sure you don't have any cuts on your hand and/or you wear gloves. If it is fish TB, isolate all infected fish immediately. There is a very low recovery rate so you might consider euthanasia on infected fish so you don't contaminate anything else.

5. OP
    OP
    J

Hi thank should be around 240 litres and no disease from what I've seen and yeah don't normally do that much was rushing haha and yeah will do that
    Thank you

6. kayla20johnson

kayla20johnson Member Member

I did a little research and it says with the sharks you should only put them in a “semi-aggressive community, as long as they are the sole shark and the other tank mates are of similar size.” Maybe he wants some meatier food and is going after your guppies. You could try bloodworms or brine shrimp!

7. OP
    OP
    J

Aww yeah I get some of those and see if it helps, I've had him since day one with the guppies and it's only this week that I have suffered losses which is what is what's making it so hard to pin down the issue, do you think it would be safer just to put him in another tank? Or should bloodworms control him, never seen him or any of the other fish acting aggressive towards each other which again makes it all the more difficult to track down

Thanks for the advice

8. kayla20johnson

kayla20johnson Member Member

No problem! I’m just a beginner in the fish world so I don’t know much about Guppies or Sharks. I was interested to see what they were like so I did some research after reading your post. I think you could try the bloodworms or shrimp brine to see if that helps. Keep a close eye on him and see if you see any aggressiveness also. If so, then maybe remove him and put him in a different tank? I’m interested in what’s happening

9. OP
    OP
    J

Thank you I will try that and see if it change thank you so much