Guppies Platys Mollies

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMO, guppies are the best. Mollies and platies are still good but they aren't as pretty. You can buy so many diffferent strains of guppies - fancy, purple snowflake, Moscow, cobra, leopard, snakeskin, tuxedo, etc.! And then you can breed them and see what happens. Guppies are just so fun, pretty, and easy to take care of. I've had guppies in nearly all of my tanks. I do really like balloon and dalmation mollies, but platies aren't too pretty in my opinion.

Quiche

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Platy lover here! Then again, I haven't ever had guppies or mollies, but platies are still my favorite. I like them because they're bigger, but guppies would be a better choice for a smaller tank. There's still a great variety of colors in platies, but definitely not as much as guppies. However, if one of the platy color patterns strikes your fancy, then platies might be a better choice for you!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep them all in different aquariums. Mollies and plates are very colorful and have more personalities than guppies.

1a. Platties.
_MG_5160 copy.0.jpg

1b.
_MG_8354 copy.0.jpg

1c.
_MG_7804 copy.0.jpg

2a. Mollies.
_MG_5201-Edit copy.0.jpg

2b.
_MG_8536 copy.0.jpg

2c.
_MG_7274-Edit copy.0.jpg

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why me said:
which has more personality platy or mollie
Hard to say. If I had to choose I would say the mollies. But I like them all. I have a 37 gallon just for guppies. The mollies live in the 150 and are really food hogs.

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I really like platys. I think they are beautiful and have a lot of personality. They tend to be very peaceful, good community fish. Mine had fry and a handful survived and grew up in my tank. Eventually my last male died, And then at some point the fry stopped coming. My last platy passed recently, who grew up as a fry. I think I had platys in my tank for 12 years.

I didn't have good luck with guppies. Perhaps they are weaker fish. Also I have soft water which isn't great for live bearers.

I have much less experience with mollies.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I like platies the best. They don’t have as many babies as guppies and seem a lot harder than guppies. Also IMO they aren’t as aggressive as mollies can be and don’t need 29 gallon tanks

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MaximumRide14 said:
I like platies the best. They don’t have as many babies as guppies and seem a lot harder than guppies. Also IMO they aren’t as aggressive as mollies can be and don’t need 29 gallon tanks
That is a good point. Mollies can be pushy and do need larger aquariums.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom