Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Guppies, Platies, And Neon Tetras?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Katie24, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Katie24New MemberMember

Hi, Im starting up a 20g tank. I just put in some TSS and im planning on going out and getting some fish in a couple of hours. I want to put some platies, guppies, and neon tetras in the tank. My questions were how many should I do of each? And which should I introuduce first? I know I shouldnt put them all in at the same time and should stick with the hardiest first. Then after I introduce the first fish how long should I wait? Thanks!

2. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

WAIT! Don’t put them in all at once. I would get the guppies first, then platys, then the tetras. Neon tetras can be very sensitive so you can’t add them right away. I would go with 3 guppies, 3 platys, and 8 tetras. Guppies first, give it a month, then add platys, give it another month, then add tetras.

EDIT: I just saw that you said you won’t put them all in at once, ignore that part of my response ;)

3. Katie24New MemberMember

Oh dont worry I wasnt going to put them in all at once. Thats a disaster waiting to happen, thank you!

4. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Neons like is a tad cooler, but they should be good, I'd keep the tank at 79-78 F. I have all three in my 20 gallon at the moment, I have 2 guppies, 5 neons, and 3 platies

5. Otocinclus13Valued MemberMember

Since guppies and platies are prolific live-bearers, you have two options:

1. Get a few of each (maybe a male and a couple of females) and be ready for a population boom.

2. Get all males. They'll get along fine as long as there aren't any females to compete over. No babies this way!

If you're thinking about option 3 and want all females, be warned that females can store sperm for up to a year and will just keep making babies, some of which will be males, which brings you back to option 1.

Good luck!