29 Gallon Tank Guppies Picking on Angelfish!!?

LelaLee

HELP!

I put two young angelfish (about three and a half inches in height) into my 29 gallon tank. Until today I had kept them in a five gallon for a week to quarantine and they were doing great & eating.

So I put them in the aquarium (two fully grown females, six babies about a month old and then nine babies about a week and a half—actually why we decided to get angelfish. I don’t want that many guppies. Also a single honey gourami.) and they were swimming around the entire tank, but it seems like as soon as they stop, the guppies start nipping on them.

At first it was just the two large females so I put them in a different tank like I had intended to anyways, but the honey gourami is biting at them when they stay still. Even the week old baby guppies are chewing on the sides of them and they both have red spots on their sides now & they aren’t doing anything at all to defend themselves. They are swimming around some but only moving away when they get bit, not putting up any fight.

My honey gourami is only about two inches and fully grown. How do I fix this, I only have my five gallon? Honestly wish I never got guppies, and want the babies to be eaten. No fish stores near me are accepting the baby guppies right now... Why aren’t my angelfish defending themselves? I really don’t want them to die.

AggressiveAquatics

When it come to bullying if you have a big enough tank the ONLY thing you can do is separate them because fish aren’t like kids where you can tell them no and they stop. the only thing you can do is separate them

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

You could try planting the tank very densely and adding a lot of hiding places. That way the angels won't be so out in the open we the other fish can find and pick on them easily. Otherwise remove the angels. If you get 2 full grown angels the other fish probably won't pick on them.

Upvote 0

LelaLee

You could try planting the tank very densely and adding a lot of hiding places. That way the angels won't be so out in the open we the other fish can find and pick on them easily. Otherwise remove the angels. If you get 2 full grown angels the other fish probably won't pick on them.
Will they be less picked on/more aggressive as they get older? Because they’re already significantly bigger than my fish.

I’ll go ahead and add more planting for them.

Upvote 0

RandomFishBoi

Will they be less picked on/more aggressive as they get older? Because they’re already significantly bigger than my fish.

I’ll go ahead and add more planting for them.
Once angelfish become adult they get a little bit territorial, especially when breeding. So they will be less likely to tolerate other fish picking on them.

Upvote 0

LelaLee

Once angelfish become adult they get a little bit territorial, especially when breeding. So they will be less likely to tolerate other fish picking on them.
Thank you. General update, one of them is upside down at the surface of the water and dying. I’m moving the other one back to my five gallon quarantine until I can figure out what to do with these guppies

Upvote 0

kansas

I was able to rehome fish by putting an ad on craigslist. I met the people at a gas station and did a contact-less hand off.

I made a lot of beginners mistakes with stocking and didn't want to live with them for the next 5 years.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
Replies
Views
Jhawk117
Replies
Views
Lloydbsantos92