Guppies Or Platies?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Emily5, Jun 19, 2018.

1. E

Emily5 New Member Member

I’m trying to decide between guppies and platies, and was wondering which is more active and fun to watch.

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

depends, what size of tank and what else in there? I love guppys when they wiggle. They also come in super fun colors and are easy to breed.

3. OP
    OP
    E

Emily5 New Member Member

It’s a 20 gallon, and I have been told by several people based on the other fish that would be in it, I could have 4 guppies or 3 Platies.

4. CanadianFishFan

4 guppys? With other fish? I have 4 guppys and 1 gourami with 4 minnows and 2 snails in my 20...

5. K

Kody Grieve Valued Member Member

not either! there are so many other fish available, why does everyone want guppies and platies! theyll overstock your 20g in half a second as well if you dont get the sexing correct.

6. Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

In a 20 gallon? You’ll be under stocked, if that’s what you’re going for then ok but you could add a few more.

Platy do produce more waste than guppies so I’ve read but they’re also a lot hardier too.

7. CanadianFishFan

I have done it mostly times with success! I have done all male guppy tanks and it works every time. But yes it must be a one gender only tank

8. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

To be fair, if you manage to mis-sex most common fancy guppies, you need to get your eyes checked. There are a few fancy varieties of females that look like males, but they're few and will break your wallet. Sexing platies isn't at all difficult either.

And why? Because there are so few other freshwater fish that are so incredibly hardy, colorful, active, and just in general a pleasure to watch other than the common livebearers. Go to any store that sells fish, and the first that'll catch your eye is likely to have livebearers in it. You have other colorful fish, such as tetras, rasboras, some gouramis and angelfish, and cichlids, but for anyone who does research, it's clear that the common livebearers are the easiest and probably the most colorful out of any fish that you'll find at a chain store.

9. K

Kody Grieve Valued Member Member

that is true, they are hardy thats for sure. and i must agree with you on the guppy sexing hahaha. but fish like dwarf neon rainbows and pencilfish and tetras. theres ALOT of fish out there. you said for anyone who does their research and i would agree but c'mon, if you manage to kill the hardier species of tetra (everything that isnt a neon lol) then you clearly dont know what a water change is.

in my experience, if you do your maintenance like you should (we are talking appropriate weekly or fortnightly waterchanges) then hardiness of a species really isnt a limiting factor to what you can get! my motto is go weird or go home. everyone has seen guppies but have you ever been shot by a stream of water from your archerfish on the other side of the livingroom? i didnt think so hahaha.

10. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Easy. Guppies. Platys are boring in my opinion. Guppies come in SOOOO many different varietes, and theyre super fun to watch.

In a 20 gallon, you could have 20 guppies easily. We have a 20 long guppy stream biotope that probably has 30ish in it at any given point.

Go easy on the food, do regular maintenance, put some live plants in there and you can have a ton of fish.

11. OP
    OP
    E

Emily5 New Member Member

I wouldn’t just have the guppies/platies. I said I had been told I could have that many WITH the other fish that would be in the tank.

I would love to have a lot, but I’m planning on having other types of fish too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2018
  12. Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

Apologies

13. OP
    OP
    E

Emily5 New Member Member

No problem. I worded it in a bit of a confusing way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice