Question Guppies or endlers?

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Fishlore,

Just a quick question, should I get guppies or endlers or both? And how many (20 gallon long with 3 corys getting 2-3 more soon, 8x WCMM, 5x mystery snails)? How many maximum? Also what online store do you recommend for guppies and or endlers? Thanks!

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In fact it doesn't matter whether you're keeping endlers or guppies in this case. Fancy guppies which are bigtailed are larger and need therefore space. But short tailed guppies and endlers are faster and therefore more vivid. Which means also in need for space.

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It sounds like you’re pretty much stocked. I think that your tank is large enough, but you already have a lot of fish and snails.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
emeraldking said:
In fact it doesn't matter whether you're keeping endlers or guppies in this case. Fancy guppies which are bigtailed are larger and need therefore space. But short tailed guppies and endlers are faster and therefore more vivid. Which means also in need for space.
so either or?
erinw347 said:
It sounds like you’re pretty much stocked. I think that your tank is large enough, but you already have a lot of fish and snails.
I don't have too many fish. I mean I see other tanks and think that my tank is under stocked. People have many more fish than me and are still adding more to one tank. Anyway, why do you think this? Also I have good filtration, one canister with BioHome ultimate and one large sponge filter, two more on the way.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
emeraldking said:
One kind or both... depends what you want or like...
But they can crossbreed.
OK, I was wanting tequila sunrise guppies and blue star endlers but I can't find any blue star females. I'll keep looking.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Finatic005 said:
OK, I was wanting tequila sunrise guppies and blue star endlers but I can't find any blue star females. I'll keep looking.
I think you have room for endlers or guppies. However, I would keep in mind that endlers may chase guppies(other than mating reasons), but in my experience male guppies in general will chase each other unless there are females around

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bgntoc said:
I think you have room for endlers or guppies. However, I would keep in mind that endlers may chase guppies(other than mating reasons), but in my experience male guppies in general will chase each other unless there are females around
Yep, I can get a pair of tequila sunrise, and I know that it is better to have 2-3 females to 1 male but unfortunately I cannot do that. I am still looking for endlers though.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Finatic005 said:
Yep, I can get a pair of tequila sunrise, and I know that it is better to have 2-3 females to 1 male but unfortunately I cannot do that. I am still looking for endlers though.
Yay! If you see them fighting though, its pretty normal since they are pretty mean to each other. If it gets REALLY bad though, I would separate them.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bgntoc said:
Yay! If you see them fighting though, its pretty normal since they are pretty mean to each other. If it gets REALLY bad though, I would separate them.
Ok, sounds good. Do they like drift wood (specifically spider wood)?

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Finatic005 said:
Ok, sounds good. Do they like drift wood (specifically spider wood)?
The guppies should be fine with the drift wood, as long as it doesn't lower the ph(guppies like higher ph as opposed to lower ph, although stable parameters are the most important). I think there is a way to I think boil the driftwood so it doesn't release tannins.....again, as long as it doesn't release tannins. I'm not really experienced with driftwood tho so I would wait for other responses.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bgntoc said:
The guppies should be fine with the drift wood, as long as it doesn't lower the ph(guppies like higher ph as opposed to lower ph, although stable parameters are the most important). I think there is a way to I think boil the driftwood so it doesn't release tannins.....again, as long as it doesn't release tannins. I'm not really experienced with driftwood tho so I would wait for other responses.
My pH is 7.8-8.0 so I think I am ok.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That pH is perfect.

Overhere a tank with my blue stars and dusky millions fish.

And overhere my mutt tank with endlers, guppies and hybrids. And they live peacefully together.

I do have to say that these are breeding tanks.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
emeraldking said:
That pH is perfect.

And overhere my mutt tank with endlers, guppies and hybrids. And they live peacefully together.

Thanks for sharing :)

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
emeraldking said:
That pH is perfect.

WOW! Those are some busy tanks. I am curious: What food is stuck to glass? I've always seen that but never known what it is.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finatic005 said:
WOW! Those are some busy tanks. I am curious: What food is stuck to glass? I've always seen that but never known what it is.
Besides flakes, granulate, powder, vegetables, frozen and live food I also use food tablets. There are sinking and adhesive ones. And the substance composition can be diverse. It keeps also the water more clean and it´s for sure intersting to watch them gather and try to feed themselves on such a tablet.
There are several brands that do have them. But I myself do order them as bulk packaging at a german wholesaler. Much cheaper and of a high quality. Certain brands do order their food also at the same manufacturer but with another packaging and labeling of course.

A lot of my tanks have a busy stocking when it comes to the number of fish. But I´m a breeder. On a frequent bases fish will be moved to stores or other people (could be breeders or just keepers). But despite of the number of fish, my tanks are wellbalanced. That's something that you really have to keep an eye on. But it's my passion ever since the 1970's. To me it's more of a routine than a real work out.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
emeraldking said:
Besides flakes, granulate, powder, vegetables, frozen and live food I also use food tablets. There are sinking and adhesive ones. And the substance composition can be diverse. It keeps also the water more clean and it´s for sure intersting to watch them gather and try to feed themselves on such a tablet.
There are several brands that do have them. But I myself do order them as bulk packaging at a german wholesaler. Much cheaper and of a high quality. Certain brands do order their food also at the same manufacturer but with another packaging and labeling of course.

A lot of my tanks have a busy stocking when it comes to the number of fish. But I´m a breeder. On a frequent bases fish will be moved to stores or other people (could be breeders or just keepers). But despite of the number of fish, my tanks are wellbalanced. That's something that you really have to keep an eye on. But it's my passion ever since the 1970's. To me it's more of a routine than a real work out.
I will definitely look into adhesive tablets for guppies and I too think it’s fun to watch them feed off of it. You have been in this hobby for 50 years which is incredible and you must really enjoy it. I just purchased Japan Blue Gold Double Sword Guppies and also the Endler version of that and am planning on making a colony and selling to breeders, keepers, or pet stores for credit. Good luck with future breeding to you!

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Finatic005 said:
I will definitely look into adhesive tablets for guppies and I too think it’s fun to watch them feed off of it. You have been in this hobby for 50 years which is incredible and you must really enjoy it. I just purchased Japan Blue Gold Double Sword Guppies and also the Endler version of that and am planning on making a colony and selling to breeders, keepers, or pet stores for credit. Good luck with future breeding to you!
Wow Japan blue gold double sword guppies are beautiful!
P.S. about the tabs, I've heard a lot of people mention the sera o-nip tabs(i'm sure there are also other good brands :)), and I see a lot of people feed their fish with it.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bgntoc said:
Wow Japan blue gold double sword guppies are beautiful!
P.S. about the tabs, I've heard a lot of people mention the sera o-nip tabs(i'm sure there are also other good brands :)), and I see a lot of people feed their fish with it.
They are so beautiful right? I'll do a bit of research on sera o-nip tabs then, thanks.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finatic005 said:
You have been in this hobby for 50 years which is incredible and you must really enjoy it. I just purchased Japan Blue Gold Double Sword Guppies and also the Endler version of that and am planning on making a colony and selling to breeders, keepers, or pet stores for credit. Good luck with future breeding to you!
Thanks...
But it's just over 45 years that I'm active within this field. I´m in my 50´s. My parents started in the 1960´s.

I had those double swords japan blues. Sold them all.

New Threads