Guppies or Dwarf Gourami??

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to keep in my 7.5gallon tank. At first I was going to get 3 panda corries and 1 betta, but that didn't happen because I can't keep bettas in my area. Then I was thinking of getting a Dwarf Gourami instead to put with the 3 corries, then 2 of the corries died. :-\ Now I have 1 Panda Cory, and I can't find Dwarf Gouramis anywhere. :-\ Everyone in my family likes Guppies, and I realy want to get some, but I don't have any room if they have fry. :-\

If I was to get guppies how many could I put in 7.5 gal tank with a panda Cory?
Or do you think I should get a Dwarf Gourami? I found a site online that sells fish online and they sell Dwarf Gouramis.()

What do you think I should do? ???

Thanks

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I am not going to tell you what to do, but if you do not have a place for guppy fry then I would not get more than 2 guppies as you would soon be overrun with guppies. The Dwarf Gouramis (all the different ones) are beautiful. I am sure that you will come up with something that sounds like it will fit your needs just fine. Every plan I have heard from you sounds wonderrful so trust yourself. It is a win-win situation there are good points to be said for either way you go.

Rose

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd be worried about getting dwarf gourami, or any gourami for that matter, if your water can't support a betta. They're in the same family. If you want guppies, you could get a bunch of males and then not have to worry about fry.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Boxermom, that's what I thought. I might just get some male Guppies. Although I'm not certain yet. :-\
How many guppies could I put in the 7.5gal?

Thanks

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Half a dozen is 6 right? I didn't think it would be that many. I forgot to say there would be 1 panda cory in there too. Could I still have 6 male guppies, or would it be less?

Thanks Boxermom you're a great help.

Gwenz

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree about getting the male guppies. They are a very beautiful and hardy fish. If I couldn't have a Betta, I'd have a tank of many-colored guppy boys!

S.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I will get 6 male guppies then. I don't think it will be too long before my tank is cycled, so I will have to look in my lfs.

I have 3 fish stores by me. In one of them I know they mix the males and females and I know the guys who work there won't be bothered about getting males and will just give me six guppies not nowing if they are male or females :-\ - I don't think I'll go there.

In the other lfs they only have males but I think I spotted the odd female amongst the males the other day. - so maybe I'll go here, not sure.

The other lfs, which is the furthest away (about 30-40 minutes), are very reliable and I've always had healthy fish from them. Also they separate the males and females of every breed. They have a lot of tanks. ;D - I think this is the best place to go, but it's far away.

If I get 6 males now - I could probably get some more when I get a bigger tank. ;D (which won't be for a while) I realy like guppies and want to get some.

Thanks boxermom.

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gwenz-

With your little cory in the tank I do not know if you have room for 6 male guppies. They get to about 1 1/2" and the cory is going to be 2 1/2" approx. I am thinking that you should be able to have 4 at the max. Butterfly keeps guppies and cories maybe I can get an opinion from her.

Rose

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Guppies and cories have a very small bioload. As long as weekly water changes and maintenance are done, there shouldn't be any problem. We have about a dozen adult guppies in a 10g tank with a juvenile bristlenose pleco. We do weekly water changes of 50%. The water parameters are perfect, the water is crystal clear, the fish are disease free and we haven't lost a single one. The 1" per gallon thing is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. A great deal depends on the type of fish, the type of maintenance, etc.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Boxermom, Rose. Maybe I'll try to PM Butterfly, and see what she thinks.

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Butterfly sais that I could have 5 guppies, so I think that is what I'll do. Can I add them all at the same time?

Thanks

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. What about the Cory? Can I put him in the same time as the guppies? He's in my Q tank at the moment.

Thanks

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK good. I just thought maybe I should keep the guppies by themselves for 2 weeks as a sort of Quarantine before I add Mo (my panda Cory), just incase they are caring diseases or something and I can make sure they are okay before I add Mo incase they pass something on to him :-\ (he's already been Quarantined). But if you think it should be okay then I'll add them the same time.

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know if Butterfly meant for you not to quarantine the guppies when you get them. I don't think maybe she understood that this is what you meant. You may want to ask her for sure just in case.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom