Guppies not having fry

Moscow

I have two 8 month old females that are very large and have been for at least 4 months. They have never dropped fry. My aquarium is a 20 long with tons of cover both top and bottom. The tank is used for all of my swordtail, molly and platy fry.
I even have three 3 month old females that have dropped their first fry. Why would these two older females never drop?

jake37

Do you have male guppies ? Also are you sure the frys are not being eaten - is there floating plants where the frys can hide ? One thing I've noticed in my guppy/swordtail tank is guppy frys like to hide high and swordtail frys low.

AquaCaitlin

jake37 said:
Do you have male guppies ? Also are you sure the frys are not being eaten - is there floating plants where the frys can hide ? One thing I've noticed in my guppy/swordtail tank is guppy frys like to hide high and swordtail frys low.
Yes, I’ve also noticed my guppy fry tend to hide high, i don’t think I’ve actually ever seen them hiding low.

Have you been noticing a difference in the female’s weight? Like, do they become larger than not quite as large? Or have they just been staying around the same size?

Moscow

AquaCaitlin said:
Yes, I’ve also noticed my guppy fry tend to hide high, i don’t think I’ve actually ever seen them hiding low.

Have you been noticing a difference in the female’s weight? Like, do they become larger than not quite as large? Or have they just been staying around the same size?
No, they stay the same. Plenty of hiding places. The 5 fry my 3 month old had all survived.

Moscow

jake37 said:
Yes, that’s how the 3 month old got pregnant. They aren’t being eaten either. The 5 fry that my young one had are all still in the tank.

jake37

The 5 fry you saw. Guppies normally have many many more than 5 frys at a time which suggest most were eaten.

Moscow said:
No, they stay the same. Plenty of hiding places. The 5 fry my 3 month old had all survived.

Moscow

jake37 said:
The 5 fry you saw. Guppies normally have many many more than 5 frys at a time which suggest most were eaten.
It was her first brood. Either way the females in question are huge and could have 30 to 40 but yet they don’t.

JB92668

it sounds like they are fry bound its just like being egg bound where things get stuck inside of the fish its not very common in guppies but dose happen

Moscow

johnbetta said:
it sounds like they are fry bound its just like being egg bound where things get stuck inside of the fish its not very common in guppies but dose happen
Any solution? Or are they goners

JB92668

u can fix this buy feeding your fish brine shrimp dipped in garlic juice for 5 days then feed sparlina flake food for 2 days then do the shrimp and garlic again it worked for me

Moscow

Ok, I’ll give it a try. Thanks

JB92668

your welcome keep me up dated on how it works for u

Top Bottom