Guppies Never Work :(

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bettaguy17, Mar 29, 2010.

1. B

Bettaguy17 Valued Member Member

Hello

I have purchased about 12 guppies (not at once) in the past 1 1/2 years and THEY ALWAYS DIE ON ME! I dont know why! I acclimate them properly (longer than any other of my fish), the tanks been set up for 1 1/2 years, so no doubt its cycled, the fish are all compatible (im not a new fish keeper, i know what fish are ok and which are not) and they always die! my longest trio lasted 3 weeks. I put one in a tropical tank (76-80 ish) and it died the next day.. then later, much later, i put 2 in a goldfish/coldwater tank (68-74) and they died with in 5 days, i dont get what im doing wrong! :;dk Can someone please help me? Thanks

2. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Are they all purchased from the same place? That could be the issue. If you're buying them all from the same place, ask about the tank they're kept in. As an example, perhaps the store is keeping them in brackish water. It takes awhile for fish to be acclimated from brackish to fresh water. Another possibility is that they're getting their guppies from a sick source, or perhaps they're extremely inbred.

If you're getting them from different places, it could be that there's something in your water supply that the guppies don't like.

Or it could have been bad luck.

3. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

You may have just gotten poor stock. Some stores will sell you anything, fish in poor health included.

4. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I buy guppies....to feed to my crayfish. I have never had much of an issue with them just dieing unless Eli ate them. I think Redlessi is right maybe you got bad stock.

5. t

trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

I haven't had great luck with them either out of 6 only one lasted for awhile till a newbie error whipped my stock out. The 5 that died were the only ones that were affected the other residents platy and tetra were fine.

6. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

I'd say its sick stock because they are pretty hardy fish given the proper conditions :/ but if i may make a suggestion platys are close to the same size so maybe try them? I find them much, much hardier since they are less inbred.

Phil :)

7. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I know you say the tank is cycled & the tank mates are compatible, but can you humour me & post your test results & what fish you are trying to get them to share with?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice