Guppies Keep Having Babies

Roger172

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My guppies just had another set of babies. I had 13 that lived and it looks like they just had another round of 15-20. Any advice. Really don’t want to flush them
7b472b29267b62704f1aecd821ada072.jpg

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Separate the males from the females. Females should stop having litters after several months. Give the babies away... post on craigslist, a facebook group, or a LFS might take them in. Some place like Petco may even accept surrenders.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's what guppies do best.
You have a platy in there. Cut back on feeding so much, and you will find they manage their own numbers well. Livebearers will eat each other's fry.

You shouldn't separate the sexes. It is common advice here, but it doesn't respect the natural behavior of the fish. It controls them for our needs and disregards theirs. If you can't handle some breeding, you should not buy guppies, as harsh as that sounds. They aren't ornaments, they are animals.

You just have to realize they will eat their young in a smaller, unplanted tank, and that very few of the babies you see will make it to adulthood unless you go out of your way to save them. I have a guppy group that has been breeding for years, and has not overwhelmed its resources. It stays at good numbers.

Go online and google "sexing guppies" the male has a pointed analfin, formed into a tube. The female has a triangular one.

opaline67

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Livebearers pectoral fins differ male from female. Males are pointed. Females are not. If you google real quick you’ll be able to see the difference.

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Took awhile for my young mollies to eat fry, the first couple batches had a ton of survivors even with reduced feedings. If they're young and inexperienced I wouldn't expect them to be a big help with population control.

Roger172

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
First batch was 15 and 13 made it. It’s been almost a month and theirs at least 20 new babies. I’m worried about over crowding in the tank. I went from a 10 to a 45

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The 15 you have will become good fry predators. Young eat younger.

You could always get a fry predator - there are many. Bettas, most tetras, barbs - all control population easily and largely without being noticed.

Gadfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You shouldn't separate the sexes. It is common advice here, but it doesn't respect the natural behavior of the fish. It controls them for our needs and disregards theirs...
As opposed to keeping fish in a glass box?

I would advise gathering as much advice as possible and then going by what works for you. Separate the sexes, cull them, or get a predator if you can’t get rid of them fast enough.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Let's not start anything here. There's no reason to be confrontation even if we disagree.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As opposed to keeping fish in a glass box?

I would advise gathering as much advice as possible and then going by what works for you. Separate the sexes, cull them, or get a predator if you can’t get rid of them fast enough.
Gadfly - I see your point, but we can also see different behaviors inside those glass boxes, if we plan them right. You can see guppies being splashes of colour, and you can see behavior not much different than what I've seen watching livebearers in the wild. I'll take interesting behavior every time. Social fish with no society aren't the best aquariums.

Let's not start anything here. There's no reason to be confrontation even if we disagree.
I see no confrontation going either way in the postings. Gadfly has a good point there.

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's not long ago that I was reading threads by someone who kept mixed sexes of livebearers together in a large tank and the population eventually overwhelmed the tank, the capabilities of the BB, the cannibalistic parents, and the owner. Fish death after fish death, meds, and water changes more than once a week to try and keep up with the calamity. If I'm not mistaken that tank is now undergoing a "restart". It seems like OP wants to avoid a similar scenario. The easiest and most sure way to control the population is by separating the sexes. I'm sure with the right circumstances and capable hands you can do more and differently. But I would recommend getting a handle on the population in the beginning and then exploring options once you have a feel for it... just my 2 cents.

Blaze

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Idk maybe look for some smaller type of tetra that won't bother the adult guppies but will eat the babies.
I can't think of any specific breeds but I'm sure some the guys on here will know.

Roger172

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don’t want to have another 45 gallon tank with 50 fish between the two of them. If they all survive the tank won’t be able to sustain the life of all the fish. I was hoping PetSmart would take them but they won’t. I know this sounds bad but I’m hoping the adult guppies eat the new babies. I was fine with the 13 guppies who are growing and the 2 adults and 1 platy but now the tank only being 45 gallons I’m gonna be in trouble lol

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don’t want to have another 45 gallon tank with 50 fish between the two of them. If they all survive the tank won’t be able to sustain the life of all the fish. I was hoping PetSmart would take them but they won’t. I know this sounds bad but I’m hoping the adult guppies eat the new babies. I was fine with the 13 guppies who are growing and the 2 adults and 1 platy but now the tank only being 45 gallons I’m gonna be in trouble lol
If the tank is 45 gallons you have some room for fry-eating fish. Most tetras will eat fry, as will barbs, as was previously mentioned. You could also do a single male swordtail, if your platy is a male as well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom