Guppies hiding?

1. Abbielouise1804

Abbielouise1804 Valued Member Member

Worried about my guppies, I have 2 red blonde male guppies in my 10 gallon tank. I recently installed an air pump/air stone into the tank and the first day they seemed fine and even went to explore the bubbles and swam around in them together. But the day after they are hiding behind the filter and only come out once in a while. They did come out when I fed them. I do also have 5 neons in this tank and they are acting totally normal.

Any ideas what's going on?

2. Angelfish2guppy

Angelfish2guppy Valued Member Member

It's perfectly normal

3. P

Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

What are your parameters?
    Can you take a picture of your setup?

4. OP
    OP
    Abbielouise1804

I am still awaiting on my tank to cycle.

Ammonia 0.50ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 0ppm
    PH 7.4

I'll attach a photo from before I added the fish (not at home right now to take a current photo)
    The air pump that I installed is at the far left of the tank - opposite to the filter where the guppies are.

[​IMG]

5. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Abb...

Likely adjusting to something new in the tank. Add some stems of a floating plant to the tank. Livebearing fish like your Guppies feel comfortable with floating plants. Other than this, just keep the tank water waste free with lots of large, frequent water changes and you'll have no tank problems.

Old

6. P

Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Agreed with Old, they are likely just adjusting.
    Are you taking the steps to safely cycle the tank?

7. OP
    OP
    Abbielouise1804

Ok thanks guys I have been doing daily water changes of around 25-50%

8. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

9. OP
    OP
    Abbielouise1804

I've only ever used tap safe water conditioner and use this every time I change the water. I also have fluval cycle but I've heard mixed reviews about that

10. el337

Not familiar with Tap Safe but I don't think it detoxes ammonia/nitrite. The only ones I know that do are Seachem Prime and AmQuel+. These would help keep your fish safe since most dechlorinators only remove chlorine and chloramines.

I believe Fluval Cycle is a bacteria supplement and not a water conditioner but I've read mixed reviews about its use as well. If you want to use a bacteria supplement to help speed up your cycling, I recommend Tetra SafeStart Plus or Seachem Stability.

11. OP
    OP
    Abbielouise1804

If I invested in some prime, do you think it would stall/delay my cycle?

12. el337

No impact on your cycle at all!

13. OP
    OP
    Abbielouise1804

I'll look to get some Prime then

14. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello again Abb...

If you said you were cycling this tank in your first post, I sure missed that. Cycling a tank with fish is going to be tough on them with such a small tank. Female Guppies are very hardy, but males aren't. The water in a small tank will change quickly because of a sudden build up of fish waste material. You should be testing daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. You remove and replace 25 percent of the water if you have a positive test for either of these forms of nitrogen. You can remove more water, but this starves the bacteria that needs the dissolved waste to reproduce.

Reviewing the procedure for "fish-in" tank cycling is a good idea at this point.

Old