Guppies hanging around at the top?

ChitaBetta

I have an established, 35 litre tank I've had running for a long time. Water quality is all good; no nitrates/nitrites, no ammonia and a stable PH of about 7 and it's well oxygenated with bubbles always getting caught on the underside of the plants also. Temperature of the water is 25 Celsius, although with the summer heat it's been an issue so I did buy a fan to cool the water and I noticed the temperature was more stable.
I have two snails, 6 shrimp, 4 Neon Tetras and a Beta in there.

Today I added 2 female Guppies. I introduced them slowly over a few hours, floating the bag etc before I placed them in. I brought them from a good pet store that put the animals first, they don't re-home fish without water checks etc and all of the fish in all of the tanks appeared to be healthy and swimming around. When I first added them, they instantly started acting weird. One of them hid under a log at the back with the shrimp for a few hours and the other sat in the top back corner, a while later they were both sat there together. Then they have been sat there most of the time, until I turned the light on and fed them, at the top of the tank with their fins breaching the water. Even when they swim around they are touching the surface.

I turned the light on hoping they would be a bit more active...which they are and they are swimming just fine and even chasing around the top but even when they swim into the water current and it pushes them lower into the tank, they seem to instantly want to get to the surface again.
I tried feeding them to see if that was the cause and they are swimming around like crazy for the food and one will go down maybe 5 cm, but instantly pop back up again. They are even scavenging food from the plants touching/near the surface of the water. but any food that goes lower they seem to be leaving it.
They are not bothered by my Beta, nor is he bothered by them or showing any aggression, they swim really close to each other and don't seem stressed.

Anyone have any suggestions? Literally can't find anything from searching online other than that they are suffocating, which they are not because the others are fine. Ironically one is black and one is white (Yin and Yang) and they remind me of Koi by the way they are acting. The ONLY thing I can think of is that I have a glass cover for my aquarium and the ones in the stores are covered, so could they just be thinking that they are going to get fed...For the entire of the day...Because they are not quick learners?

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
ChitaBetta said:
I have an established, 35 litre tank I've had running for a long time. Water quality is all good; no nitrates/nitrites, no ammonia and a stable PH of about 7 and it's well oxygenated with bubbles always getting caught on the underside of the plants also. Temperature of the water is 25 Celsius, although with the summer heat it's been an issue so I did buy a fan to cool the water and I noticed the temperature was more stable.
I have two snails, 6 shrimp, 4 Neon Tetras and a Beta in there.

Today I added 2 female Guppies. I introduced them slowly over a few hours, floating the bag etc before I placed them in. I brought them from a good pet store that put the animals first, they don't re-home fish without water checks etc and all of the fish in all of the tanks appeared to be healthy and swimming around. When I first added them, they instantly started acting weird. One of them hid under a log at the back with the shrimp for a few hours and the other sat in the top back corner, a while later they were both sat there together. Then they have been sat there most of the time, until I turned the light on and fed them, at the top of the tank with their fins breaching the water. Even when they swim around they are touching the surface.

I turned the light on hoping they would be a bit more active...which they are and they are swimming just fine and even chasing around the top but even when they swim into the water current and it pushes them lower into the tank, they seem to instantly want to get to the surface again.
I tried feeding them to see if that was the cause and they are swimming around like crazy for the food and one will go down maybe 5 cm, but instantly pop back up again. They are even scavenging food from the plants touching/near the surface of the water. but any food that goes lower they seem to be leaving it.
They are not bothered by my Beta, nor is he bothered by them or showing any aggression, they swim really close to each other and don't seem stressed.

Anyone have any suggestions? Literally can't find anything from searching online other than that they are suffocating, which they are not because the others are fine. Ironically one is black and one is white (Yin and Yang) and they remind me of Koi by the way they are acting. The ONLY thing I can think of is that I have a glass cover for my aquarium and the ones in the stores are covered, so could they just be thinking that they are going to get fed...For the entire of the day...Because they are not quick learners?
My guppies prefer top water also. And they seem to also get in flow of HOB like a treadmill. Lol. You can see how the top of head is flat and eyes toward top of head. That is for hunting on the surface. They do swim in whole tank but are topwater fish

OP
ChitaBetta

ChitaBetta

SanDiegoRedneck said:
My guppies prefer top water also. And they seem to also get in flow of HOB like a treadmill. Lol. You can see how the top of head is flat and eyes toward top of head. That is for hunting on the surface. They do swim in whole tank but are topwater fish
That makes a bit of sense if they are top water fish, however it has been two days and not once have they gone any lower. I literally mean it! I work from home and my aquarium sits on my desk, I am at my computer almost 24 hours a day. They have not once gone any lower. my aquarium isn't deep, it's a cube. They don't seem stressed at all, but I am worrying because if they drop food below a certain level they won't chase after it, I don't want them to starve.

GouramisAreSuperior said:
Guppies just do that with currents they like to have fun, like how fish will try and swim up a HOB filter just... because.
They do like the current I noticed. The one I picked out in the store I picked because of that reason.

New Threads