guppies going to over run my house lol Question 

989josh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 2 male guppies and 3 female they had babies now there about 20 baby I was going to feed some when I start running out of room to my girlfriends turtle they are red ear sliders but I was think about also get a big if that would eat them to I about to get a 55 gal tank and just was wondering if anyone know what I should get for it. I love breeding if even if all I can breed is guppies. o and some tolled me that you can feed the fancy ones to other animals

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore!

Guppies work fine as feeders.

989josh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
what fish can I house in a 55 gal tank to feed the guppies to?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What stuff do you like? There's a pretty good list of stuff you can have in a 55.

989josh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lol all I have ever had are guppies and a betta so I would like a fish that going tol ive by it self in the 55 gallon so some bigish something that doesn't die to easy cuz am kinda new to all of this

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

989josh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
will they eat my guppies?

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The turtle will eat the guppies. When I was little my family had one and we used to feed it gold fish. A jack depmsey would make a great fish to eat guppies in a 55.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should just start looking at tank pics and fish pics or a fish selling site and just see what kind of fish you like, then go check their profile to see what kind of care they need to see if you can do it with your 55. There is a myriad of options you can choose from, because in general, big fish eat little fish.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
this is a link to a list of beginners fish. anything with the word cichlid in its name will most likely be excellent at eating guppies

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd say angels... are they okay with guppies? I know they'll eat the fry, and I assume they'll be fine with the grown ups?

989josh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just look at a pic of a jack depmsey they look good and one of my friend said a Midas Cichlid are they good fish and will they eat the guppies.btw I do like my gupies a lot there cute just know am going to get to many

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A jack dempsey will eat guppies. But it will eat adults and fry, so I would keep the guppies you don't want eaten in one of your other tanks. They will eat anything that fits in their mouth, and even some stuff that doesn't. JettaJockey can tell you about that.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes, they sure do, lol. My ebjd doesn't seem to like anyone or anything in his tank
I tried putting some corys in there since they are only slightly smaller and ...yeah, that lasted all of 10 seconds and I was scooping them out.

Keep in mind that if you are going to be feeding guppys to a larger fish that you should do it sparingly and supplement their diet with pellets/flakes and whatnot, proper nutrition is very important, plus if you feed him live foods ALL the time he will get very picky.

989josh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Monmouth what kinda fish is that in your pic and jetajockey do u have a pic of your jack depmsey

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It is a blood red parrot. They are very neat, but mine have never been in a tank with fry so I do not know if they would eat them. They leave the adult guppy in their tank alone though, so you may be able to mix them.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
its the blue one on my sig, he's just a baby.

989josh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
he cute how big is he and does anyone know a good website to get them from

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could get a 20long and get some African Clawed Frogs (ACFs) they will eat your fry and eventually (after about 3 or 4 months) they will be able to eat any unwanted adult guppies. They are very hearty so you wouldnt have to worry about killing them, and they are GLUTTONS! They will eat and eat and eat! After about 5 months old they can eat 3-4 guppies/minnows 3 times a week.

A 55 would be too deep for them until they are full grown thought, good tanks for them are not over 18" deep, but once they are full grown they are capable of going a bit deeper.

Just a thought that goes beyond fish for eating guppies

989josh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
and what kind of filter heat plant light and that kinda of stuff should I get for them

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads