Guppies glass surfing after 15% water change

slg

Whenever I do a 15% water change on my guppy tank, they glass surf frantically for at least an hour. I have a heavily planted, 15g Fluval Flex aquarium with a sponge filter in addition to the built-in filter, and 8 guppies. I do twice weekly, 15% water changes. Water parameters from this morning (API Master kit): pH 7.2, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, and 5 nitrate. Temp is 79. I tested my tap water this morning and the ammonia reading was 0.5, right out of the tap. Should I let my newly conditioned tap water sit out for a few hours, or overnight, before water changes?
edit: Water conditioner is Seachem Prime; pH of water out of the tap was between 7.2-7.6 (API Master kit); GH 30, KH 40 (using API test strips).

KingOscar

Whenever I do a 15% water change on my guppy tank, they glass surf frantically for at least an hour. I have a heavily planted, 15g Fluval Flex aquarium with a sponge filter in addition to the built-in filter, and 8 guppies. I do twice weekly, 15% water changes. Water parameters from this morning (API Master kit): pH 7.2, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, and 5 nitrate. Temp is 79. I tested my tap water this morning and the ammonia reading was 0.5, right out of the tap. Should I let my newly conditioned tap water sit out for a few hours, or overnight, before water changes?
edit: Water conditioner is Seachem Prime; pH of water out of the tap was between 7.2-7.6 (API Master kit); GH 30, KH 40 (using API test strips).
Surfing for a short time after a water change can be normal, especially if the tank is still fairly new and the fish are still settling in. I'd not worry about that.

The .5 ammonia in your tap water is in line with what many of us deal with and is only a concern if you do very large water changes. An established filtration system will convert it to nitrates quickly.

slg

Surfing for a short time after a water change can be normal, especially if the tank is still fairly new and the fish are still settling in. I'd not worry about that.

The .5 ammonia in your tap water is in line with what many of us deal with and is only a concern if you do very large water changes. An established filtration system will convert it to nitrates quickly.
Thank you

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
RosesinMay
Replies
Views
TetraKing101
Replies