Guppies from petsmart/petco

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Member
Messages
993
Okay after getting fish from my LFS I have a bacterial outbreak that killed 2 of the 3 guppies. I treated with furan 2 and the remaining guppy seems healthy, she eats and is always swimming. The guppy is still in quarantine with 3 platys as I quarantine all new fish for a month. I want to get more guppies as I intended on adding 3 more guppies to the main tank (that's why I bought 3 from the lfs) and I wonder if I should try petsmart or petco. I'm never going to buy fish from the lfs again as every time I have they've had internal parasites (the platys are from a lfs in Nashville and they have healthy fish but its very far from me). Should I risk it and try petco and petsmart? I have meds to treat everything except for camallanus worms (if thats how you spell it). Im fine if they come with ich as ich is very mild and I've treated it twice so far with no deaths.
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,970
I have bought fish from PetSmart before (GASP!) and honestly, my local PetSmart is pretty good about keeping their fish healthy, which surprised me after all the bad things I have heard about them.
Of course, it isn't the best place to buy fish from. I buy from my LFS and pretty much only buy from PetSmart when I need something from my LFS and they don't have it in stock. But if your LFS isn't any better and you are prepared for disease and such, why not give them a shot?
 

AquEric

Active Member
Member
Messages
242
I don't buy from pet stores anymore had a lot of bad luck I normally get my fish and plants from eBay or find a breeder who will ship I haven't lost a fish in over a year you pay a little more but what you get is a lot healthier
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
RomanNoodles96

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Member
Messages
993
AquaticQueen said:
I have bought fish from PetSmart before (GASP!) and honestly, my local PetSmart is pretty good about keeping their fish healthy, which surprised me after all the bad things I have heard about them.
Of course, it isn't the best place to buy fish from. I buy from my LFS and pretty much only buy from PetSmart when I need something from my LFS and they don't have it in stock. But if your LFS isn't any better and you are prepared for disease and such, why not give them a shot?
Okay I will. Yeah my LFS is not good at all. They had a display tank and the gourami in there had columnaris along with the neons, and there's always dead fish in every tank including saltwater. They have decent supplys like medicines, but not good fish.

AquEric said:
I don't buy from pet stores anymore had a lot of bad luck I normally get my fish and plants from eBay or find a breeder who will ship I haven't lost a fish in over a year you pay a little more but what you get is a lot healthier
I would like to do this, and I plan on doing it in the future for shrimp, I just don't want to deal with doa or anything like that atm. Plus I like to pick out the fish and most the time with fish like guppies its assorted.
 

AquEric

Active Member
Member
Messages
242
RomanNoodles96 said:
I would like to do this, and I plan on doing it in the future for shrimp, I just don't want to deal with doa or anything like that atm. Plus I like to pick out the fish and most the time with fish like guppies its assorted.
A lot of vendors on eBay show you the fish their selling or if you ask they will send you pictures I'm not into guppies accept as dither fish but I've found some good and helpful venders on eBay
 

fishlover357

Active Member
Member
Messages
137
My local PetCo and online are the only places I get fish from anymore. My PetCo has much healthier fish than I expected with their reputation and all. Don't have an LFS and my PetSmart has TONS of dead fish.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom