Guppies Friend Died

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TheRedBaron, Apr 2, 2019.

1. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaronNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    So I have two male Guppies,a Ghost Shrimp an a Nerite snail that I adopted from a friend that was moving. I have never owned Guppies before so I have been reading everything I can on them
    I just can't fine what am about to to ask. FYI I'm used to Betta's.
    Anyway I set up there new home witch is in a 14 gallon tank. I made sure everything was in order before putting them an there other tank mates in. They have been in there new home for atlest two days before last night,one of the guppies dyed an I don't know why.
    Really I don't know what to do for the one that's left. I don't know if he is grieving an shouldn't get him another friend until he isn't grieving or should I just get him another friend an hope they get along and let them be? I just don't want him to die from be alone because I know they like to be in groups but I don't know if they only grow attached to the ones they started with and then wish to die alone when there friends dye off. I know this is dumb but like I said I'm used to Betta's but I am starting to really like these little guys and I really want to keep this one alive a long and happy life. I feel so guilty that the one dyed already.
    Thank you for your help.

2. Morpheus1967

Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +636
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Is your tank cycled? What size? Filter? Heater? The answers will help us pin down what might be the issue.

3. OP
    OP
    TheRedBaron

Ratings:
    +1
    Like I said I did everthing needed for a new tank an that they are in a 14 gallon tank now.I Cycled it, i put the old items from there tank in to cycle to get there old bacteria in the new tank,the heart is set to 78, there ph in the water was alil below 7.0 and the kinda filter I have is Cascada 500 Canister Filter. I have that set to low flow at the moment because that was how it was in there old 5 gallon tank when they lived with my friend. I didn't want to put them in shock or anything if they weren't used to a heavy flow. Was planing on slowly raising it up over time.
    The question is tho should I leave him alone or get him a new friend that is my concern as well.

4. Noroomforshoe

NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +140
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Make sure that the tank is cycled. ZERO ammonia, ZERO nitrite, and some nitrates.
    IF their are no other fish in the 14 gallon tank, you can keep 10 or so male guppies. WHEN YOUR TANK IS CYCLED!
    Guppies can live with any other guppies, you can add them together or seporate, from different stores its all good.
    They are not picky like more aggressive species, "angels, cichlids, gourami, female bettas..."

you said their are other fish in the tank? What are they?

5. OP
    OP
    TheRedBaron

Ratings:
    +1
    All that is good too. I also have a lot of live plants in the tank an those came from there old tank as part of the move over.
    Good to know I can get him a new friend.
    Ya the tank mates are the Ghost Shrimp, and a Nerite snail then the two guppies witch is now one. So the one guppie, snail an shrimp is all that is in the tank.