Guppies Fighting??

ChunkyFish145

Reaction score
I have 6 fancy guppies and I have had them for a little over a month, recently I’ve noticed there tails seem damaged and that they are nipping at each other. I don’t understand why they would be doing this since they have plenty of room in their 10 gallon tank and they get plenty of food. I thought they were peaceful fish?? They are housed with two mollies but I have never seen the mollies harm them, or even notice they exist.

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Guppies will chase one another and occasionally nip fins- especially if they are all male.
Often the more hiding places (like live plants) you add, the less tail damage you’ll see.

OP
ChunkyFish145

ChunkyFish145

Reaction score
ok thank you, I have a hide but they never use it, I guess I’ll try getting another one!

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I also want to point out they are territorial fish. You are overstocked for a 10 gal. Mollies themselves need at least a 20 gal, and a 10 gal should only have 7 guppies with nothing else. So, your best bet is to get a 20 gal for them all, and you will likely see less fighting.

As previously said, lots of hiding spots is helpful. They are new and establishing their hierarchy and territories, and there isn’t enough territory to go around. It’s normal for new guppies to fight til they figure it out. Keep the water really clean with a good 50% water change every week (i assume you are cycled) so the fin damage doesn’t get infected.

Gwlson7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 5 gallon that I’ve housed no more than 5 guppies at a time. I’ve lost 3 different males due to fin nipping. I currently have 4 that live together in harmony. Some get along and some don’t. Unfortunately you just have to wait and see who does or get a larger tank where you can get a large number so they can’t single each other out.

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a bully guppy in my tank too. I've found that the more guppies, the less he bullies. He actually seems to be the one getting picked on now

Gwlson7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FishGirl115 said:
I have a bully guppy in my tank too. I've found that the more guppies, the less he bullies. He actually seems to be the one getting picked on now
It always changes. I have a bully guppy that killed the first two fish and was picking on another. So when I noticed a different guppy with clamped fins, I put him and the other one that was getting picked on in a separate tank. Turns out the one getting picked on was the one bullying the one with clamped fins. He killed him that night. Guppies can be mean. ☹

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm a bit astounded that this discussion has gone on this long without anyone asking about your water parameters. What are your test readings?

It's always a guess what's happening when there are problems in your aquarium. Nobody knows for sure. Yes, it could be aggressive guppies. They are usually docile, but not always. If I see a guppy that attacks other fish consistently, I cull that guppy.

One thing that occurs is when water parameters go south, the weaker guppies deteriorate faster than the other. Guppies will gang up on fish that are struggling. It's easy to blame it on the fish, but I try to rule out everything else before I do that. That way I'm less likely to miss something that I'd have seen if I was a better fishkeeper.

I would rule out water issues first. What are your test readings? How long has the tank been set up? How often do you perform partial water changes?

New Threads