Guppies Fighting

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I have a 10gal planted tank. I have Red Cherry Shrimp and I had 4 male Fancy Guppies. One disappeared. I looked everywhere. In the tank and outside and he was there one night and not there the next evening. Anyway, everyone used to get along well but now two of them are picking on the third. They never did this (that I saw) when there were four. What do I do. I distract them with food but I don't want to foul my tank.

2. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I would get another one. I have found that my guppies do not get along when kept in odd numbers.

3. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

id get another one. when kept in small odd numbers they will team up against the weakest one.
    try to get a new one before they stress out the other guppy too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. dakota Member Member

At one time I had guppys and experianced the same problem. I learned to have more than 3. I increased them to 5 to 8 and never had the problem again that I ever noticed
    Thanks

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Please understand that what I am writing here is not meant to be in any way a judgment of how you have been taking care of your tanks. We all have had very rough times, and I actually am in the middle of a huge mess that goes back to when I got my fish from a source with health issues. So I know what it is like to live with a huge amount of stress due to unhappy fish.

It is actually really important just take a step back and look at the overall water situation in the tank. It appears that you have three tanks that were started all in the month of July, you do not use a quarantine tank, the pH is too low for guppies, and the water readings look like you do not have a cycle going. Your profile information is showing that otos are also in this tank, but it looks like you don't have them now. Please let us know if any of this is outdated information.

What this all adds up to is too much stress for the guppies. They are extremely hardy fish and can live with very imperfect water, but little bits of stress from different sources can all grow together and become too great.

Just by being fancy guppies, they have a lot of stress that their wild brothers do not have. He hitched tails and fins slow down their swimming, making it very hard to do them to do the kind of agile maneuvers required in an all-male tank. Poor swimming ability hampers the formation of a livable group situation. The word pecking order does not really express how large groups of males live together. It is not simply a matter of one being higher or lower than the other since a more equal swimming situation will give allow four or five boys to have face offs, meaning that they are all at the same social level. Face-offs can only be done by boys whose tails are small enough to allow them to swim backwards. This is the basic reason why one has to keep very few fancy guppies and an all boy tank and why I do not recommend mixing them with male Endler's and wild type guppies. (I am the woman who has 9 single-sex Endler tanks over the years, so I do know what I'm talking about here.)

So before you jump the gun and get another male guppy, I would recommend that you try the following first.

1) double check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings to make sure that there are no spikes going on and causing stress. Dose the water with Amquel plus if necessary to get the numbers down rather than doing a huge water change.

2) gradually increase the hardness of the water in this Tank to a pH level of 7.5 - 8 (KH of 10–20)

3) reduce stress in different ways. I do not know your regular habits, so the following suggestions are merely shots in the dark. Ideas for changes: cleaning in a less aggressive way (if you have been vacuuming at all, which is generally less needed in this type of tank), changing the way they are fed, and taking other tank mates out (such as otos if they are there)

4) a temporary fix for them, so that they will
    not hurt each other, is to put in tank dividers.

Finally, the reasons why I advise that you do not run out and get another male guppy: you do not have a quarantine tank and so have no control over what bacteria is already in there or that might come in with a new fish. I always say that getting new fish is like looking for love in a bar. It is hard not to buy lovely new fish, but we have to protect the ones we already have at home. Some level of protection is achieved by getting a quarantine tank set up and going through that process slowly.

Wishing the best for you and your fish in all your endeavors.

6. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

. My tanks were used & I didn't loose bacteria while moving them. My research said Ph should be 6.8-7.8 mine is 7.2. I do water changes weekly and test my water every few days. I use Prime. I have plants & everyone writes that they keep my Nitrates down even after beating the bottle to death. My Oto is doing fine. I understand about Quarantine tanks but I've been keeping fish for about 20 years, Freshwater & Saltwater and never had one. I had very large tanks in the past so my small ones are new to me & I've never done live plants & Dirted tanks. But I also believe that you're never too old to learn so that's why I'm on this website trying new things. BTW the two boys with the shorter tales are picking on the big guy with the big beautiful tale. But they're going after his body.

7. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

The other two boys are going after his body because they hope he is a girl, and he can't do anything about it because his tail is too unwieldy ;)

Otos are very problematic for many reasons. You can find recent threads here about them.

I know absolutely zero about saltwater tanks. They just seem way too complex for me to even think of taking on ;)
    Guppies are supposed to be easy, but I find them actually very demanding of my attention LOL

8. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

. Saltwater tanks are a pain but they do have beautiful fish. I've always had Otos. I think they are the best algae eaters out there and don't take up very much space. However everyone always goes and gets those big Plecostomus. One came with my tank. I'm waiting for my sisters tank to rehome it.

9. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

I've heard it's very easy for disease to spread without a QT, especially in saltwater where the fish are worth a fortune compared to fresh water.

10. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

. It's possible but I'm old-school I did fish for about 20 years. We didn't have QT tanks when I started & I never brought home sick fish. But then again we never used to cycle a tank either. We used to get the tank put water in it put the de-chlorinator in it and the next day put the fish in it. However I do make sure that the fish I get have been in the store for a few days and I look at the tank they're coming out of very closely. Now I'm going to have to look around so I can knock on wood

11. Bob Ellis Member Member

When my brother put 3 male guppies into his Platy tank the guppies tried to breed with every other fish in there, male or female platy. They were trying to dancing approach and the sneaky darting assault they will do.

I wonder if in such a small group all that mating drive ends up focused on the smallest male and he gets hounded to death. Not as a male pecking order thing but as a hormonal gotta-mate-with-something situation.

12. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

that's possible too but the two smaller males are picking on the big guy. I'll just get some girls and we'll have a party