Guppies fighting?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Sagwa, Jan 1, 2013.

1. SagwaNew MemberMember

I bought an assorted mix of fish from lfs and realized they all required schools(I don't have the space to house 3 separate schools of fish!) I plan on taking them back and just getting lyre tail guppies (4-5), but! I bought some fancy guppies on sale yesterday, two female and one male, and the lyre tail keeps attacking them! Granted they are in a small tank right now but the guppy hasn't attacked any other fish before...so are different guppy breeds aggressive to each other or is it because the lyre tail is lonesome right now?

2. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

how is he attacking them? I had a tank full of males and they were not attacking as much as they were playing from what I was gathering.

They would come up to another one and give a little shove or a nip to a fin (never caused damage) and then they would chase each other around the tank. I have a M/F pair that do the same

3. cichlidman

cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

i would imagine it will calm down over time. Guppies are nippy fish, and when there is a group of them, they tend to argue until they find their pecking order. Give it a couple of days and the Guppy should settle down as they all figure out who is running the group

4. OP
    OP
    S

SagwaNew MemberMember

He would swim up under them and peck at them once or twice then follow them! He mostly does it to the girls. :( I'm afraid to get more lyre tails if they are going to fight!

5. Ilyas

IlyasValued MemberMember

This is what a lot of fish do when they are about to or in the processes of spawning Sagwa. We have guppies and Balloon Mollies. The male guppies especially are this way toward the female guppies during this stage of their life cycle. Do consider a second bigger tank if you are going to keep both genders as they will spawn with little to no encouragement from you. Our female Molly came to us pregnant. We had her a day or two and she left 5 babies in the tank. The females of both Mollies and Guppies can store the seed of the male for up to 6 months to use to get pregnant. So you can have babies in your tank without the presences of a male even. Best wishes!!!

6. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

We used to call our lyre tails the gang of marauding guppies.
    I've never had a fish take down another fish like those guppies could.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice