Guppies Fighting And Injuring

1. S

Safiyah Khan New Member Member

Hey I am very new to taking care of fish, I noticed that one of them is being very aggressive toward the other one. I then noticed one of them has a really shreaded fin which I have ordered treatment for but I just noticed that my other gupie has this red bit hanging off him. I have all males, have ordered some plants to help give them cover. Just lost on what to do. I have 4 of them.

Attached Files:

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

What size tank is that?
    Males are generally aggressive with each other and even females if their aren't enough females. As you have 4 males you would need 8-12 females which is impossible considering all the babies you will have. An all male tank can still work if you put enough effort in :) The plants were a good addition. Once they establish the pecking order, there should be less aggression

3. OP
    OP
    S

I was thinking about adding in some more males, I read someone they are less aggresice even there are more of them. I have a 40l tank. I'm just worried they are going to hurt each other to the extent they die

4. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

You could remove the male that is aggressive. But I would remove 2 males and get 4 females. You could add more males but if that doesn't work you will have more fish that need rehoming. All male groups are possible but are so risky that I wouldn't recommend it.

5. OP
    OP
    S

Hmm fair point, just didn't want lots of babies. I can look into returning the aggressive fish

6. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

I would give them a week or two to establish the pecking order. If that doesn't work out, I would either remove the aggressor and/or add 1-2 more males to spread out the aggression.

With females you'll soon be overrun with fry unless you have ways to rehome or sell them.