Guppies eating sand?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by el337, Jul 24, 2015.

1. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Ever since I added PFS, my guppies seem to love being at the bottom picking at the sand even though there is no food there. I see their little mouths sticking out and "eating". I'm a little concerned that they may be ingesting tiny bits of it. Is this ok? If it's not sand, what could they possibly be eating?

2. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

Its just the way guppies are. They are curious and active friendly fish. Right now mine are sifting thru feces on the bottom of the tank if that helps. Wont hurt them. They are just foraging

3. OP
    OP
    el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I have to def agree that they are very fun and very very active.. I could watch them for hours and not get bored. lol

Thanks for the reassurance!

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

My platies do this all the time, pick up a mouthful of sand, nom it a little (decide there's no food hiding in it) and spit it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice