Guppies Eating Fry?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by JoyToTheFishes, Jul 17, 2015.

1. JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishesValued MemberMember

I'm kind of curious, I know I've read that guppies will eat their own or others babies, but I was wondering how quickly it would happen?

Is it possible for one of my guppies to have fry while I'm at work, and have them eaten by the time I get home?

I do have plenty of hiding spots in my tank.

2. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Yep, it's possible, especially if there are other fish in the tank. All live bearers will eat fry if they're small enough to fit in their mouths, it's not uncommon for them to be wiped out within a couple hours. With lots of hiding spots you'll likely get some survivors though you may not spot them for a few days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I've had my livebearers eat their fry literally right after they came out.....

4. Bijou88

My girls always birth after lights out so luckily I've missed any instant fry eating, i have absolutely no doubt that it happens regularly though :/

5. Thomas Lin

Thomas LinValued MemberMember

I turn away for a minute and the fry I was watching disappeared. It may have hidden, but I have a feeling it was eaten. Sad too, because it had a very unique pattern, and had the red eye gene from black eye'd parents.

6. OP
    OP
    JoyToTheFishes

Hmm.. I've also read that when they're close to giving birth you can use a birthing-box (the actual name escapes me) to separate them?

But, if it happens so fast, how can you have time to separate them? Or I wouldn't think it would be good to move them too early either?

7. Thomas Lin

Thomas LinValued MemberMember

I bought a breeding box, attempted to use it once, and now its a residence for snails. It puts too much stress on the fish, after half I day I put the fish back into the main tank, since it was so frantic in the box it knocked off some scales.

8. Bijou88

That's what I've heard about breeders too, that they seem to stress out the mamma more than anything. I just let mine birth in the tank and scoop the babies out a week or so later, they're really good at hiding when they're little.

9. Blk69Valued MemberMember

One of my Females just had 30 fry. Was able to catch most and put in a tank breeding net. Hope you are successful to.

Ok....after reading a few of these comments, I caught a few more of my fry and put in the breeding net. Don't want anyone on the menu.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2015
  10. plecodragonWell Known MemberMember

Some females will give birth and then turn around and eat their fry. Others will have their babies and they don't even notice them. Other fish will thou.

I have come to the conclusion that the strong survive in my tanks. You are born and if you are quick and healthy then you live to repeat the life cycle. It may sound alittle harsh but when you do the math, one female guppy can have 20-30 fry a month for many months even without a male in the tank multiply that by the # of females you have and if you saved every fry you would be way way overstocked. I do have java moss floating in some of my tanks and other plants and hiding places for the fry, so I always get one or two survivors sometimes the other fish and mama don't feel like eating them and then I can have the majority of fry survive. The only time recently I have saved fry is when my Moscow black strain guppies (jet black pure strain) had fry and they were all saved, scooped up and placed in protective custody, (breeder box). But with a lack of movement and overcrowding they were stunted, so the last few months batches have been free swimming survival of the fittest and the fry look great.

Breeding boxes are good short term solution to unexpected,or expected fry but not for a long period of time, They need more water movement and room to swim. I also use net breeders as my main breeding baby separator or injured fish as it is more roomy and water flow is better.

11. Kaelajay04New MemberMember

That's how my fist one happend.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. OP
    OP
    JoyToTheFishes

Ah, I had actually purchased a breeders net online just incase. Wasn't sure if I'd made the right decision choosing that over a box, but it sounds like it's okay.

Sorry, another newbie question, but, stunted fry?

13. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

It happens. 30 fry in a 5 gallon tank might take twice as long to grow to the same size as 30 fry in a 20 gallon tank.

Over crowding and poor-er water quality contribute to slower growing fry.

14. ClearEyes

ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

My livebearer gave birth, and I didn't even notice. It must have been at least a week later when I saw a little baby platy swimming around, hiding in the back. I can only assume it was the sole survivor of a litter of at least 20-30 fry.

Friend's mother said:
    "Little boy had fish when he was about 4. I don't remember what kinds. One of them had scads of babies right in front of us, it was cool -- and then we watched as she scooped them up and ate every single one, right after birthing them. The lovely green plastic planting I bought to help them hide did nothing. I was horrified. It all slowly dawned on my son, who turned to me and said, "Well, that's nature!" He was already more of a realist than I, at least in the ways of fish behavior. "

15. Gekco

GekcoWell Known MemberMember

My mollies give birth over night I believe, I wake up and see about 9-15 babies swimming around. It all depends on the size of your tank, how much fish you have and how much hiding spots you have. In my 29 gallon I only have 2 gold barbs and 1 molly and lots of plants so that is probably why they survive.

If you have plenty of hiding spots where bigger fish can't get then the babies have a chance at surviving.

16. OP
    OP
    JoyToTheFishes

I saw a baby this morning! Unfortunately, I had to rush off to work.. so it may not be there when I get home.. :(

Does anyone have any recommendations for good hiding spots?

17. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Have lots and lots of plants, they make good hiding spots.

18. Matt68046

Matt68046Valued MemberMember

Joy the best thing you can do to get fry with guppies is provide hiding places for the fry, keep the tank warm and clean water, take the males out if their chasing too much, or put the females in a ten gallon tank for them to give birth. I use to take fake plants and take off the bottom and just float tons of them all over to give gravid females and Newborn fry places to hide.

19. Bijou88

Floating plants and bushy dense plants at the bottom are your best bet for getting surviving fry. :)

20. OP
    OP
    JoyToTheFishes

Oddly enough, as soon as I got in from work, I noticed one of my females was giving birth! I managed to save 5 in my breeding net/box.

Though, now all my females are hanging out under the hanging net/box, very cult like and unnerving..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice