Guppies eating algae wafers, help!

Faith Wilmore

This is my first time feeding my snail. I already fed my four guppies today. I put half of an algae wafer in there for my mystery snail and the guppies immediately go to eating it! I'm afraid that the snail will never get any food. I would try feeding them at night, but my guppies stay up all night too so I don't know if that would help. I'm in the process of cycling my tank, so I don't yet have an algae in the tank to feed my snail. Help!

Viriam Karo

LOL guppies will eat anything and everything. Why do your guppies stay up all night? Do you have a light on all night?

Your snail is probably okay... and if you break up the algae wafer there are a few different pieces for them to go to instead of everyone going to one. Also your snail might learn to duck and cover his food. Mine usually do, to resist the tickles of corys and the less-friendly picks of my DG.

Faith Wilmore

Viriam Karo said:
LOL guppies will eat anything and everything. Why do your guppies stay up all night? Do you have a light on all night?

Your snail is probably okay... and if you break up the algae wafer there are a few different pieces for them to go to instead of everyone going to one. Also your snail might learn to duck and cover his food. Mine usually do, to resist the tickles of corys and the less-friendly picks of my DG.
No, the light gets turned off at 6pm. We keep a hall light on and a miniscule amount of light comes in our room at night. It's enough that if I look closely, I can see them swimming around. I'm an insomnia, so I'm always looking at the tank.

Update on the snail: He is now fighting with the guppies for that one piece. That's a good idea to put in another small piece to distract the guppies. I will try that. Thanks!

Viriam Karo

They probably do actually sleep. My neighbors have a grow-light or something on all night, and their window is right across from mine. But if all the lights in the house are off, or even if the overhead stove light is on (kitchen opens to the room where the fish are), they'll find a nice spot to settle down and go to sleep. I know this because sometimes I have to run down and get something, turn on the light, and they'll've squeezed themselves between the tank walls and leaves, or in the lee of Mr.'s Marimos, and they look all shivery and shocked when the room light goes on.

kevymd

Viriam Karo said:
and they look all shivery and shocked when the room light goes on.
I'm pretty sure you just described how I look in the morning.

endlercollector

It can be hard to keep bottom feeders with guppies and Endler's because they're such pigs and will consume everything remotely edible. I tell people that it's possible to house them together, but I don't do so myself

junebug

Mystery snails aren't algae eaters anyway... I mean they'll eat wafers if you add them, but that shouldn't be their main diet. Try blanching veggies and adding them.

Also your guppies do not stay up all night, I guarantee you.

Viriam Karo

Not, of course, to say that guppies won't also eat blanched vegetables XD and some of my snails have never figured out that spinach is food...

Snails also really like snail jello (there's a recipe on here somewhere) but then again... so do guppies... lol

Faith Wilmore

Snail jello? I have to look this up! What veggies do you recommend for snails?

Man, I wish I would have asked you guys first what they ate. I just did a quick Google search and people kept saying that they ate algae wafers.

shelleyd2008

Feed the snail the same time you feed the fish. Drop the fishes' food in the tank first, then drop the wafer. I'm sure the snail is getting more food than you think, don't worry!

Edit to add that they DO eat algae wafers, they will eat just about anything...they are snails after all. When I had a tank disaster I caught one of my mystery snails trying to eat a dying danio erythromicron...not a fun day

shelleyd2008

The main diet of my mystery snails are veggie wafers from Ken's Fish. However, I'm almost out and can't afford the $10+ shipping in addition to the cost of the food. Therefore, I made my own wafers using collard greens.

Here's a partial list of calcium-rich veggies that you can use to make snail jello or wafers. Any of these should be easily found at your local supermarket:
1. Dill Weed 208 mg
2. Turnip Greens 190 mg
3. Collards 145 mg
4. Parsley 138 mg
5. Kale 135 mg
6. Watercress 120 mg
7. Beet Greens 119 mg
8. Chinese Cabbage 105 mg
9. Mustard Greens 103 mg
10. Chicory Greens 100 mg
11. Spinach 99 mg
12. Okra 81 mg
13. Leaf Lettuce 68 mg
14. Cilantro 67 mg

To make snail jello, choose your veggie then cook it until soft. Toss it in the blender until it is the consistency of baby food, you will probably need to add some water but only a little at a time. You'll add 1 packet of Knox unflavored gelatin to approximately 1/2 cup of veggie mush. Chill until firm, then cut it into smaller pieces. If it doesn't set correctly you can add more gelatin, likewise if you use too much veggie mush. After you chill it and cut it, toss it into a baggie and store it in the freezer. When you want to feed your snail you can just toss a piece in. It will float for a little while but will sink after a few seconds. Or you can thaw it in water first and it should sink as soon as you drop it in.

Edit to add that you can also add a crushed calcium tablet (Caltrate brand without D is a good choice, as are fruit-flavored Tums) and a crushed multi-vitamin if you want the food to be extra good for your critters

Viriam Karo

Finally! Another way to get rid of my beet greens in summer! lol. You can also use baby food if veggies are particularly expensive/out of season. I've used sweet potato and pea, and they seemed to like both. I crush up a calcium tab (again, without vitamin D added) and also add some crumbled dried brine shrimp.

Teishokue

fyI feeding your snails at lights out will work

Top Bottom