Guppies dying getting stuck on filter intake tube

mukg

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a a Fluval FX4 running at 100% on the intake/outflow with the outflow split to 2 lily pipes.

Have seen multiple guppies getting stuck on the lily pipe from the tank and into the filter. This was after the nitrogen cycle got established but during the new tank phase. Is it normal for fish to get stuck, or a sign of an unhealthy/weakened fish? Recently a small cory that ventured too close got stuck as well but we noticed right away and it recovered within a couple of hours

I have tried varying the current and reducing the intake/outtake flow as well to reduce the pressure. I currently put a sponge on the inflow lily pipe to reduce the suction pressure on fish that venture too closely. Would you recommend keeping this on? Would this sponge affect filtration?

Any other thoughts/ideas?

Attachments

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
On our FX4, I removed the strainer and placed an ATI Filter Max III pre-filter on it.

It uses a coarse foam sponge that doesnt restrict flow. Every couple of weeks, I unplug the FX4 and slip a gallon sized ziploc bag around the pre-filter and remove it for cleaning. Slipping the ziploc bag around the pre-filter sponge prevents all the muck it trapped from sloughing off and getting back into the tank.

Using a pre-filter also keeps the media in the canister cleaner, since all the large muck and/or plant debris (if a planted tank) is trapped before it even enters the canister.

It will also keep fish and shrimp from being sucked into the intake!

ATI offers a full line of fine foam and coarse foam sponge filters as well, and they are stackable.

I buy my ATI products from the Ken's Fish website, though Jehmco and Amazon also has them (Amazon doesn't offer full selection of their products though and price is more) .

OP
M

mukg

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Islandvic said:
On our FX4, I removed the strainer and placed an ATI Filter Max III pre-filter on it.

It uses a coarse foam sponge that doesnt restrict flow. Every couple of weeks, I unplug the FX4 and slip a gallon sized ziploc bag around the pre-filter and remove it for cleaning. Slipping the ziploc bag around the pre-filter sponge prevents all the muck it trapped from sloughing off and getting back into the tank.

Using a pre-filter also keeps the media in the canister cleaner, since all the large muck and/or plant debris (if a planted tank) is trapped before it even enters the canister.

It will also keep fish and shrimp from being sucked into the intake!

ATI offers a full line of fine foam and coarse foam sponge filters as well, and they are stackable.

I buy my ATI products from the Ken's Fish website, though Jehmco and Amazon also has them (Amazon doesn't offer full selection of their products though and price is more) .
Thanks, I assume the sponge is a snug fit with the FX4 hosing? Do you know the internal/external diameter of the ATI pre-filter?

I currently am using vinyl hosing for my lily pipe and wonder if I can retain that or would need to switch back to the FX4 hosing to use the ATI prefilter

RDcompton03

Reaction score
A sponge or something is always a good practice. Aside from keeping fish out it adds area for BB but normally most fish should be able to avoid the pull off the suction unless they are sick or weak for some reason.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The "ATI Filter Max III" model of pre-filter is actually more than just the slip on sponge, it's an entire assembly that comes with assorted adapters to fit almost any circular intake pipe/tube.

Here is an old pic of one that's attached to the intake tube of our Aquaclear 110 for reference.

Screenshot_20200506-175919_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200506-180049_Chrome.jpg

There are more adapter fittings included that are not pictured here.

New Threads