Guppies dying fast.

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I seem to have a major problem with a tank of guppies. They keep dying and I don't know why. I had the tank dosed with salt for a month or so to deal with ich and it worked. The problems started when I started slowly reducing the salt, I reduced the amount of salt in each water change every couple of days until after a few weeks I wasn't adding any salt at all.
I lost a fish every few days which I put down to changing the salt but now I'm loosing 2 or 3 a day and I haven't changed any chemistry for a while.
The problem started after adding a piece of bogwood covered in Java Fern. I don't know if this is relevant or coincidence, it was shop bought but I didn't put it in potassium permanganate as I had run out.
The fish look perfectly healthy then the next morning they are dead, they don't look or act ill. Some have guts hanging out like when they have been attacked but there aren't any other fish in the tank except a dwarf suckermouth which has been in with them for ages.
I test the water every few days but nothing wrong shows up.
I have tried treating with mellafix and baktopur in case it's bacterial but it hasn't made any difference.
I am considering a complete change of water and gravel and all new plants but I thought I would check if anyone out there has a better idea or any thoughts on what's wrong. I only have a few adults left, although I still have a lot of little fry.
Any ideas gratefully received.
Thank you in advance.

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, the whole situation IS a little puzzling, usually they should acclimate okay..

My thought, and its a shot in the dark, but maybe it was something with a PH change? If you're saying your parameters are fine, meaning nothing is reading higher than .5ppm, and nitrate is 5-40ppm. Did the PH fluctuate with the addition of the salt?

How much salt was added? and what kind of salt did you use? I'm assuming aquarium salt and the amount it told you to add...but maybe the change in water type was too much, to great of a change? If they look healthy and were eating than they probably were...and the guts hanging out...if there was no other sign of physical illness that could've been another fish nibbling on the deceased..? Just a guess.

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For ich, I generally don't use salt, I just use medication (and if you can, raise the heat). If you are not using aquarium salt, that could be a main issue. Have you been testing your water regularly when using salt?? A sudden change in water chemistry (especially PH) can be devastating to your fish.

What are the parameters of the tank?

OP
Heron

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There has been no change in any measurable chemistry. The pH is exactly where it was with the salt.
The parameters are;
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2.5-5
PH 7.5
KH 5-6
GH 10-12
Temperature 25C- 25.5C
The salt was API freshwater aquarium salt, I was using 1.4g per litre, which is about a tablespoon per gallon. This is the amount I use in other tanks for ich, finrot etc and I have never had issues like this before and guppies are supposed to tolerate salt water which the other fish I have treated aren't.
I also tested for chlorides which were 0 and oxygen levels which were medium to high.
I recently changed one of the filters on the tank but reused the media from the old one which sprung a leak. The new filter is more powerful than the old one even turned right down.
One thought I had was that the bogwood/ Fern I added has introduced some parasite that I can not see.
I don't think the fish are stressed, they act normally and the females are still dropping fry.

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
New parasites in your tank might be likely, especially with guts hanging from your guppies. Maybe the source of your fish could be poor quality?

For ich have you tried raising the temperature to about 86F instead of using salt? I have heard that is more safe for most fish.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do not use salt also in a planted tank. Most plants will die from the salt. Just raise your temp to 88 degrees, let it stay there 4-5 days then do a 75% water change

OP
Heron

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I will try to get something to treat for parasites and try that. Unfortunately all our fish shops are closed because the UK is on complete lockdown so I will have to see what Amazon has. Does anyone know a good medication available in the UK?.

OP
Heron

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have lost a few more guppies. I lost two directly after a large water change so I decided to do 10 percent each day instead. Once a week I vacuum the gravel and guppies only die the next day. I think it must be something in the gravel because I only change the same amount of water as every other day and they don't die then.
I think I should remove all the gravel and deep clean the tank then add new gravel. Any other ideas?

OP
Heron

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think I've found my parasites at last, a couple of my remaining females had fine red thread like things coming out of the anal opening. Im sure they are camallanus worms, they look just like the ones in a book of mine.
I have had to buy some treatments from Amazon which should arrive in the next few days. There isn't a fish shop open anywhere around here so Amazon was my only option.

New Threads