Guppies - Clear Stringy Poos

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Brannor, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Brannor

BrannorValued MemberMember

Ok. We lost 2 female guppies in the last 4 days. Both had the same symptoms. Stringy clear poo, and 2 day later (staggered by 1 day) they were both dying. Barely able to swim, drifting on their side or upside down. Not eating at all. Within a few hours of me finding them like that it was all over.

Our 'main lady' started to not eat... we thought maybe pregnancy, or just trying to rest from the males... so we isolated the 4 males from the females to give her rest, but today this.

Wjo3ATp.jpg

I had already acquired a 5G QT and the Fluke/Worm meds arrived today that I had ordered just in case.

I now have her in that tank, filled with water from the main tank and just a mechanical filter with heater and some cover (I will siphon water from the main tank as water changes) . Have placed a single tablet in there with a little salt. We're hoping the rest and meds will help heal her, but I'm placing this thread here to either be a success or failure reference for other guppy owners.

Our water is near perfect. KH is a bit low (slowly improving), but pH is around 7, with Ammonia and Nitrite at 0 and Nitrates at 10 or less. (55G tank)

Hoping I can save her for my young daughters...she is their favourite (Leopard).

-G

2. Rohit mess

Rohit messValued MemberMember

Nice work you are taking proper action. :)
    Also i will suggest giving the meds once to all guppies, just in case.
    And gravel vaccume it daily for the time being and remove as much poo as you can.
    Suggeation: Also i add a drop of garlic juice to the tank . I have used it many times to keep my betta and neon tetra healthy in my 10G.

3. Milliemae124

Milliemae124Valued MemberMember

Clear, stringy poop is a sign of internal parasites, if she has parasites then it is likely the whole tank has it so I would dose the main tank with medication as well :)

4. Whitewolf

WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

Prazipro will work for some types of worms but there are others it wont touch. For those you would need Pancur or Prohibit. Seriously, take that with a serious note.\
    Unless your feeding live food, the chance of it being internal "parasites" is not that high, in my opinion its probably worms.

5. OP
    OP
    Brannor

Sorry, I realised I didn't post what tablet I had used. It's Blue Planet Fluke and Worm.

The hopefully good news is that this morning she actually sucked on food a few times before spitting them out. I hope that's a good sign, because she wasn't eating at all last night.

I have considered treating the main tank. Would just use a whole bottle in the week (10 tablets, followed by 10 tablets)... plus I have other fish in there that may be affected by the meds.

We are watching all of the fish closely though, and should more show the symptoms, we might just target the whole tank.

-G

6. Whitewolf

Does it kill roundworms or nematodes? It might say

7. OP
    OP
    Brannor

Description below.

For the control of fluke and tapeworms in ornamental freshwater and saltwater fish.

Blue Planet Fluke and Tapeworm tablets have been developed specifically for use in aquariums, formulated with inert excipients to prevent pollution of aquariums. These tablets dissolve rapidly, releasing 95% of the active ingredient (praziquantel) within 10 minutes of application. Praziquintel has been knwon to effectively control fluke and tapeworm in ornamental fish for a number of years.

Fluke: a common parasite in freshwater and marine aquariums. Many hundred species are known , the most common groups being Dactylogyrids (parasitising gills) and Gyrodactylids (parasitising gills, skin and fins). Dactylogyrids more commonly known as Gill Flukes, commonly infest all species of ornamental freshwater fish - particularily livebearers, Goldfish, Discus and Angelfish. Fish will show signs of respiratory distress, rapid gill movement, hanging at the surface, small red spots and scraping on objects to relieve irrations. Emaciation, inactivity and colour changes occur in chronic sufferers.

Tapeworm: When present, they are found in the intestines, attached to the intestinal wall. Signs of infestation include enlarged abdomen and ill thrift.

8. OP
    OP
    Brannor

Just an update. Guppy is still alive and seems ok. No stringy poos and have followed the instructions as required. Still a week to go (next dose is tomorrow) before the hospital period is over, but now eating and quite relaxed... probably enjoying her time away from all the male attention.

9. Whitewolf

Diffrent types of worms require diffrent meds.
    Prazipro treats tapeworms/flatworms
    Pancur treats roundworms/nematodes

Keep that in mind, not one wormer will work for all the possible parasites.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice