Guppies Changing Colours

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Andromeda, Apr 21, 2017.

1. AndromedaValued MemberMember

So I'm babysitting some guppies for a friend. When I got then they had light cobra patterns and were mostly a mix of yellow and red (red only on tails).
    A few weeks in, they've started changing colour. They now exhibit more vibrant greens and blues on their body.
    In fact one of them is yellow in the morning and as the day progresses the yellow merges into green.
    Is this normal and why does it happen?
    Feeding: Flakes (and they peck on tetrabits complete which are meant for some other fish )

2. Tyler FishmanValued MemberMember

Guppies tend to have an iridescent sheen to them. It's possible the lighting is effecting their appearance. When guppies are quite happy their colors become more vibrant. It's normal behavior

3. Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

It sounds like the guppies were moved across to your house? If so, it's possible they found it a bit stressful along with any change in water to get them set back up, that could have made them a bit washed out for a few days, then they have coloured back up as they settled in?

If you are feeding different food/brand, it's possible your food has ingredients that enhances the colour too.

With regards to changing throughout the day, that's very interesting! Are you sure it's not just to do with the ambient light in the room changing as the sun moves through the sky? Maybe if the room catches afternoon light you are getting better side-on lighting at that time of day? Just tossing out a random thought on that one! :)

Interested to hear what others think :)

4. AndromedaValued MemberMember

Thanks for the input guys. Though it can't be a trick of the light for the simple reason that they were the same colour for weeks and have only lately started changing

5. AsterWell Known MemberMember

Can you take a pic of them?

If they're young they may be displaying their true adult color.

6. AndromedaValued MemberMember

IMG_20170421_185607_01.jpegIMG_20170421_185556_01.jpeg

These little guys were rather dull yellow in the body area when I got them some weeks back. The colour changing one is being difficult. Will post pictures of him later.

Also, in case anyone is worried that the 2nd pic has ripped fins, I assure you he doesn't. He was born with that tail pattern, and the edge of the tail is outlined in black.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
  7. Fish tankValued MemberMember

I am pretty sure it happens when they are exposed to a different setting lighting, or water acidity different ph or ammonia levels.

8. AndromedaValued MemberMember

Oh I see. As long as they're brighter I shouldn't worry, correct?

9. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Water conditions, diet, general health and maturity will eventually bring out their adult genetic colors. And lighting of course but that's not an actual color change. Ever met anyone with dark hair that was blonde as a child? My stepfather's nickname is "Snow" since he was 3 years old. It doesn't fit anymore and he doesn't die his hair.

10. Fish tankValued MemberMember

Yes but if they turn gray or a very dark color I would start to concern about them but what is happening now is normal

11. fjhWell Known MemberMember

Not sure if this pertains to your situation, but some of my guppies have eye spots and when they are exposed to a female guppy, their spots will grow, almost doubling in size (and when with males only, they shrink back to normal size).

So long as they don't look ill, color change is fine. Only problem is that their owner might now care that they went from yellow to green-blue ;D

12. AndromedaValued MemberMember

Yeah, I'll have a lot of explaining to do. :D
    (no female guppies in this tank, by the way)

13. emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

Water conditions, temperature, lighting, food, mood and yes as already mentioned before most guppies have an iridescent sheen. These all can cause color change...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice