Guppies Breeding Like rabbits!

Cromwell

Hi,
I have a community tank of Penguin, Neon and Glow light Tetra, plus a Norman lamp eye (Last of a shoal), a strange unknown fish of diminutive size, possibly a Galaxy (No idea how he got there, must have been with other fish that came in.) a bunch of Assassin Snails that slope about the aquarium minding their own business (Unless a fish sadly passes away and they clean it up before you can take the little body out)!. and lastly a Bristlenose catfish who does the housework. I also "rescued" a male and three female guppies. I was not worried about them breeding as everything I had heard and read said the other fish would eat the fry. Well I must have vegetarian fish! There are fry everywhere. The Tetra just swim past without a second glance, admittedly the tank is heavily planted with both real, artificial plants and drift wood they can hide in. Close observation shows these little guys are feeding and seem to have no fear of the larger fish.
I am closely monitoring the water as I am worried the booming population will overload the tank although so far everything is spot on.

Should I cut down feeding to encourage the other fish to eat the fry, although I feel that a little cruel, or just net out the fry and hunt for new homes for them or cull them, again cruel.

I have no other tank for the guppies to go into nor room for one.

Silverleaf209

Hi,
I have a community tank of Penguin, Neon and Glow light Tetra, plus a Norman lamp eye (Last of a shoal), a strange unknown fish of diminutive size, possibly a Galaxy (No idea how he got there, must have been with other fish that came in.) a bunch of Assassin Snails that slope about the aquarium minding their own business (Unless a fish sadly passes away and they clean it up before you can take the little body out)!. and lastly a Bristlenose catfish who does the housework. I also "rescued" a male and three female guppies. I was not worried about them breeding as everything I had heard and read said the other fish would eat the fry. Well I must have vegetarian fish! There are fry everywhere. The Tetra just swim past without a second glance, admittedly the tank is heavily planted with both real, artificial plants and drift wood they can hide in. Close observation shows these little guys are feeding and seem to have no fear of the larger fish.
I am closely monitoring the water as I am worried the booming population will overload the tank although so far everything is spot on.

Should I cut down feeding to encourage the other fish to eat the fry, although I feel that a little cruel, or just net out the fry and hunt for new homes for them or cull them, again cruel.

I have no other tank for the guppies to go into nor room for one.
Your Local pet store might take them.

Cromwell

That is a thought, Or open a shop myself!

Silverleaf209

That is a thought, Or open a shop myself!
:) It is an option but I know my local pet store will not take hobbyist breed fish so best have a backup plan in case yours wont either!

HupGupp

I wouldn't assume you're about to be overrun yet. A quick scan of this board will show you there is a fairly high mortality rate, especially for the first generation of guppies in your tank. I've had at least 1 tank breeding guppies for a couple of years now and with normal mortality, periodically giving away fish and culling of unhealthy fish I've yet to be overrun.

wlmweho

I have a question myself about this. I ordered online a pair of koi colored guppies and received them in good health. The female was completely full grown and almost the size of a small trout. I have no idea if the male ever had time to breed the female, but within a week the female dropped her first brood in the quarantine tank. I immediately separated the female from the male in two different five gallon tanks (i had to rush out to the store and buy them and didn't even have time to cycle them). Without any contact with another male, or in fact another fish, the female proceeded to have three more drops. As noted above by another member of this forum, my adult female has absolutely no interest in eating her fry.

I have observed that the fry of each drop look completely different from the other drops. Most of the fry in the first drop had the koi mask and tail, (although half had dark grey bodies and some had white bodies) but in subsequent drops some fry are almost completely white, and some are dark grey without the koi mask. Moreover, although the female (along with the male in his separate tank) have dark eyes, some of the fry are albino. If female guppies have the ability to store sperm packets from various males, is there any information as to the order that females allow the packets to internally fertilize her eggs? Does the most recent mating go first or last?

I bet nobody know the answer to this, but I think it is interesting question that might have been studied.

Silverleaf209

I have a question myself about this. I ordered online a pair of koi colored guppies and received them in good health. The female was completely full grown and almost the size of a small trout. I have no idea if the male ever had time to breed the female, but within a week the female dropped her first brood in the quarantine tank. I immediately separated the female from the male in two different five gallon tanks (i had to rush out to the store and buy them and didn't even have time to cycle them). Without any contact with another male, or in fact another fish, the female proceeded to have three more drops. As noted above by another member of this forum, my adult female has absolutely no interest in eating her fry.

I have observed that the fry of each drop look completely different from the other drops. Most of the fry in the first drop had the koi mask and tail, (although half had dark grey bodies and some had white bodies) but in subsequent drops some fry are almost completely white, and some are dark grey without the koi mask. Moreover, although the female (along with the male in his separate tank) have dark eyes, some of the fry are albino. If female guppies have the ability to store sperm packets from various males, is there any information as to the order that females allow the packets to internally fertilize her eggs? Does the most recent mating go first or last?

I bet nobody know the answer to this, but I think it is interesting question that might have been studied.
Idk but I would assume first to breed with her, the first to come out!

HupGupp

Female guppies can store sperm from one or more males and get preggo multiple times from one or more mating from the past or present. In good conditions they are fry making machines.

Nanonanny

Female guppies can store sperm from one or more males and get preggo multiple times from one or more mating from the past or present. In good conditions they are fry making machines.
Yep, the amount of fry they put out and how often if astonishing.

emeraldking

Well I must have vegetarian fish!
Well, not all fish eat fry to start with...
As long as there aren't fish that will eat them, your guppy population can grow excessively...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• CatieV
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
CaptAnnDuchow
  • jkkgron2
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
jake37
  • NearMeBettas