guppies/babies/behaviors 10 Gallon Tank 

northern_guppy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello,

so as iv posted on my profile notes. I have a few questions about my guppies. I have 1 female and 2 males. and last week the female gave birth, but i dont know to how many cause i only found 3 fry (i put them in a fry cage with small floating plants to help feel more natural). BUT!!! she still looks pregnant and squared off? Is it possible for her to quit half way because of the males herassing her too much? Will she continue to give birth in a weeks time?

Originally i bought 3 females from one store and another female and 2 males from another store... the first 3 females died. So then after my female last week gave birth, i went to the fish store again and brought home 3 more....well turns out 2 were young males and there was 1 female but she was very sick. i took the 2 young males back and put the sick female in a quarintine tank and tried to cure her. but she died. well this is turning out to be harder then i thougt. I also put more plants in the tank to give them more hiding places. Im going to get more females when they get a better shipment of females in and im going to look them over better this time and make sure im bringing home females and that they arent sick > this kind of ticked me off since these things shouldnt be happening when ur being helped by the store owner... go figure. this town only has 2 pet stores in it. I dont drive so getting down to the fish store and back home with the fish is a hard task, given i have a 10 month old baby... lol wow this is starting to fee; a bit impossible. but i dont want to give up....

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you live in Saskatchewan as I would deliver to you some healthy fertile easy to breed/raise guppies. Don't buy your fish from Walmart - they suck, I have had to resort to buying a few guppies from there but treated them with Melafix for 7 days, even if they did not look sick. Petland and Petsmarts guppies are so overpriced! I just sold 50 guppies today for $50. No one needs to pay $9 for a guppy.

northern_guppy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
lol i live in the yukon. and walmart doesnt sell fish here anymore. i wish this was easier. i love guppies i have had them all my life and dont know y im having such problems with the stores here. i wish there were better options here.

still hoping for some answers??

SammyJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There are some great online retailers of fish. Pet mountain or something is a big one in Canada from what I understand. Liveaquaria is also good. The prices on their stock isn't that bad either and you can pick different colors and fin patterns. There is another site thatpetplece that also sells fish. I have used them for guppies in the past. They have good prices on mixed bag offers.

Just putting some options out there for you other than petsmart and the usual places people look for fish first.

northern_guppy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SammyJ said:
There are some great online retailers of fish. Pet mountain or something is a big one in Canada from what I understand. Liveaquaria is also good. The prices on their stock isn't that bad either and you can pick different colors and fin patterns. There is another site thatpetplece that also sells fish. I have used them for guppies in the past. They have good prices on mixed bag offers.

Just putting some options out there for you other than petsmart and the usual places people look for fish first.

Thanks for posting me this site. but unfortunatly this doesnt help me with my current situation with the guppies that i already have. ill look into the site and see what they have to offer me. what u said sounds great tho for getting more guppies. thx

just checked online for the liveaquaria and they dont ship to canada.. and even if they did the chance of them shipping to where i am would be unreal. thanks tho ill check the otherplaces u mentioned

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
northern_guppy said:
Hello,

so as iv posted on my profile notes. I have a few questions about my guppies. I have 1 female and 2 males. and last week the female gave birth, but i dont know to how many cause i only found 3 fry (i put them in a fry cage with small floating plants to help feel more natural). BUT!!! she still looks pregnant and squared off? Is it possible for her to quit half way because of the males herassing her too much? Will she continue to give birth in a weeks time?
i've had them take up to a day to finish giving birth but not any longer that I can recall, although I haven't kept really close track.

Originally i bought 3 females from one store and another female and 2 males from another store... the first 3 females died. So then after my female last week gave birth, i went to the fish store again and brought home 3 more....well turns out 2 were young males and there was 1 female but she was very sick. i took the 2 young males back and put the sick female in a quarintine tank and tried to cure her. but she died. well this is turning out to be harder then i thougt. I also put more plants in the tank to give them more hiding places. Im going to get more females when they get a better shipment of females in and im going to look them over better this time and make sure im bringing home females and that they arent sick > this kind of ticked me off since these things shouldnt be happening when ur being helped by the store owner... go figure. this town only has 2 pet stores in it. I dont drive so getting down to the fish store and back home with the fish is a hard task, given i have a 10 month old baby... lol wow this is starting to fee; a bit impossible. but i dont want to give up....
When purchasing from LFS, especially a sketchy one, it's very important to look for telltale signs of sick fish. Lethargy, hovering, paleness, and seclusion are some of the easiest signs to look for.

What I do is look at the most healthy looking fish in the group and then start deciding which one of those I want, rather than focusing on any that are questionably sick.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know females might not give birth if they are too stressed, do your two males constantly bother your female? If they do she was probably really stressed because of the males. If you have a breeder box or breeder net, you could put her in there so the males won't bother her and she can finish giving birth. Good Luck!

northern_guppy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks everyone,

Jetajockey i usually am really carfull when buying my fish. I dont know what to say i slacked and ended up paying for it. But buying threw the LFS is the only way u can get fish here. Ill just have to pay more attention to what im doing next time.

Aquariumgirl Lauren. i do have a fry cage and i tried to put the female in it but she just flipped right out and i could see that if i left her in there she would just make herself sick. And YES the males never leave her alone. i feel bad cause i tried to help by getting more females but it backfired. Im thinking if i cant get any more females before she tries to give birth again (i wrote down on my calendar for 4 weeks after she gave birth last) and im gunna try by taking the males out for a few hours maybe a day. to see if maybe she will realize shes alone and then pop maybe lol.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any possibility you can separate them into completely different tanks?

northern_guppy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SFwriter said:
Any possibility you can separate them into completely different tanks?
my other tank has goldfish and cloud fish...and for some reason the cloud fish r aggresive towards the guppies, but not the goldfish.....pain those fish r... the goldfish r pretty but the clouds....

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
often times, aggression is inevitable when putting fish in a small tank. They just don't have room to get away from one another.

northern_guppy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jetajockey said:
often times, aggression is inevitable when putting fish in a small tank. They just don't have room to get away from one another.
ya i know. so i am just trying to do the best i can with what i got. my place is too small..i dunno maybe ill find a bigger tank in replace of the 10 gallon and then move the 10 gallon so it replaces the 5....but right now there isnt going to be much changes

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads