Guppies are mugging my Swordtails

1. Kim Michelle Initiate Member

I already had three male Guppies in my tank. Got them two weeks ago. So now decided it was OK to add 2 more fish and settled on 2 male Swordtails. The Guppies were fascinated, even when I was acclimatising the bag they kept trying to get to the Swordtails. Once I let them out of the bag, the Guppies just kept mobbing the Swordtails. I've watched very closely and I can't see any nibbling of fins going on, but there is a lot of body barging. Most of the time the Swordtails don't seem too bothered, but every now and then it must just get too much for them as they make a sudden dash across the tank. But the Guppies are in hot pursuit and just continue their pushing and barging. Is this something that will settle down in time?

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

You don't have any females in it? That would be the problem (unless your tank isn't cycled)

3. Kim Michelle Initiate Member

So should I get female Guppies or Swords? And if so, how many?

4. vin Well Known Member Member

It depends upon the size of your tank....Out number your males at least 2-1. 3-1 is better...So if you have 2 males, you want 4-6 females......

In your case you would need at least 6 female guppies and 4 female swordtails....That's A LOT of livebearers....especially when you consider that they breed like rabbits...... :D ;)

If your tank is not large enough, consider asking the pet store if they were willing to trade some males for females.......

I have two famale green swordtails and one male....They seem do do well......we're on our second spawn in 10 weeks.... :eek: :eek: