Guppies And Shrimp

Jellibeen

Has anyone ever kept guppies and dwarf shrimp together? I have a 10 gallon cherry shrimp colony that I will be moving into a 15 gallon column tank soon. I will also be getting three male guppies from a friend when she is done cycling her tank. I have other tanks the guppies could go in if it would be bad to keep them with shrimp, but it would be nice to keep them together.

Does anyone have experience keeping guppies and shrimp together? Did the shrimp get eaten? are guppies like bettas, in which it depends on the personality of the fish?

Samuel97

Guppies most likely will eat shrimp, especially fry. But! That doesn’t mean it can’t be done and it often is,

My advice:
1. Settle your shrimp in first. This will allow them to explore the tank safely, and adding them after the guppies makes them more likely to think they are food delivered from the heavens
2. Provide plenty of hiding spaces, eg shrimp tubes or dense moss clumps. Pregnant females are great at recognising where they are safe and happy to raise the young ones. This means there is a greater chance their rate of breeding will out compete the rate at which the babies are picked off by the guppies for coming out of safety.
3. Keep your guppies fed well. If they aren’t hungry, they won’t hunt the shrimp.

Good luck and send us pictures!

Jellibeen

Hmm, I think I will probably pass on adding the guppies. maybe a snail or otto. I will certainly be posting pictures! I have some gorgeous driftwood on its way to me that will fit the tank perfectly. my shrimp already crawl up and down in my 10 gallon. it will be lovely to see them using all the space in the 15.

FlipFlopFishFlake

I have kept guppies with shrimp, and there wasn't a noticeable decrease in population. They probably will eat some of the babies, but with a heavily planted setup a decent amount of shrimplets should survive. Endlers, in my experience, tend to be better tank mates as the babies get too large to eat sooner for the endlers then the guppies because the endlers are a lot smaller.

Samuel97

Jellibeen said:
Hmm, I think I will probably pass on adding the guppies. maybe a snail or otto. I will certainly be posting pictures! I have some gorgeous driftwood on its way to me that will fit the tank perfectly. my shrimp already crawl up and down in my 10 gallon. it will be lovely to see them using all the space in the 15.
Otos have a much much better track record with shrimp and that sounds like a great plan

Jocelyn Adelman

My neos thrived with guppies, still do. Have on occasion found a guppy with a full grown adult shrimp in its mouth (was even able to get a pic!), and I’m sure some shrimplets get eaten here and there, but colony is stable (hundreds, started from 20)

Jellibeen

Jocelyn Adelman said:
My neos thrived with guppies, still do. Have on occasion found a guppy with a full grown adult shrimp in its mouth (was even able to get a pic!), and I’m sure some shrimplets get eaten here and there, but colony is stable (hundreds, started from 20)
I would like to see that pic!

tjander

Top Bottom