Guppies and platys

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Hamham, Jul 21, 2015.

1. H

Hamham New Member Member

I have 6 male guppies and 4 platys in my 20 gallon tank and it seems like I have no fish in it so I was thinking to add more fish. How many more can I fit in my 20 gallon tank? And what kind would be best?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Is your tank cycled?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

I would put mollies in there or guppies, mixing species in such a small overcrowded tank is honestly asking for trouble. Sounds like something i would do. But you could have like up to 20 guppies or 8 or so sailfin mollies in a 20 gallon why not, just do regular pwc;s But keep it species only, like all mollies or all guppies. A 40 gallong breeder tank or something would be better for a true "community" tank.

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Sorry to disagree, but sailfin mollies get to like 5" when grown I think, you absolutely cannot have 8 of those in a 20g....

You could probably get away with a ram or krib in there, OR possibly a small school of cories in addition to your current stock, imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

A dwarf gourami or honey gourami will work too
    Also a Cory school, as bijou states

:)

6. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Maybe a school of 6 cardinal tetras. That might make your tank "feel" more stocked...your guppies and platies probably hang around the top a lot, leaving the tank looking empty, but the tetras will hang mid to low in the tank and balance it out a bit.

7. Dom90

Since guppies are top swimmers, I would advise you to get some bottom feeders, like a school of corydoras.

8. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Agree. school of cory's will occupy the bottom. Maybe a small school of tetras for the middle. but that may be too much for a 20g. probably 1 or the other

9. Dom90

If the OP doesnt want to do a school of cories, he can also do a school of Otocinclus also.

10. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oto's aren't strictly bottom dwellers they use all areas of the tank & they don't really school either, they form loose social groups

11. Dom90

Now Anders is getting me confused, before he would say "a school of oto's..." why didnt he just say "a shoal of otos" lol...

12. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I picked up 3 oto's a few weeks ago with the intention of upping it to 5 or 6 later on.

I'm thinking now I may just keep the 3 i have. they are well fed on the algae growing in my tank and I give them zucchini once a week. I know I know...6 minimum and what not...but they seem to be doing well and are well fed. All this to say, they don't school at all. Most of the time the bigger of the three hangs out on the driftwood while the smaller two take one side of the tank each and clean away. Rarely do I see them on the bottom. Most of the time on the ornaments or on the glass.

13. Dom90

Well, like Coradee mentioned, if they dont really school but only form loose social groups, I think 3 would be ok... sounds kind of like my Siamese Algae Eaters...

14. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That's why it pays to do your own research as well & not just take one persons opinion.

To the Op, if you like Oto's then you could have a group of at least 6 though if you want more movement at the bottom of the tank a group of corys would imo be better

15. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

No mollies do not get 5" long....... You think im crazy for sugesting mollies, but in fact you guys are suggestion a "community" 20 gallon,to me that is crazy. Mollies, swordtails,guppies, platies, endlers all would live happily in a 20 gallon tank and add lots of color interest.

16. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Black mollies are slightly smaller but sailfin are 4-5" when grown. ..Swordtails can also reach 5" and thereby aren't suitable for a 20g tank.

You can do a small community, just not an extravagant one. A few guppies, a few platies and a small school of cories would work well imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

17. g

guppiegirl New Member Member

I agree mollies are too big for a 20g community tank, they also tend to do a lot better in brackish water. You can get many different species of Cory, my personal favourites are the pygmy and the false julii, you can also get a lot of different types of tetra, just do your research as some can be quite nippy.

18. EmilyClick28

EmilyClick28 Valued Member Member

If I were you I would get a tank 'centerpiece' fish. Like maybe a dwarf angel or something. Swordtails might work or I do like the tetra idea. Really whatever u want

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice