Guppies And Goldfish??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TommyBear, Apr 20, 2017.

1. TommyBear New Member Member

I saw quite a few people keeping guppies and fany goldfish together, and their temps overlap. I have no plans on adding guppies with my goldfish but am just curious about ya'lls opinions on them as tank mates.

2. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

3. Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Definitely not! The goldfish when they become bigger will try to eat the guppies. Goldfish are known to eat smaller fish that can fit in their mouth

4. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Good god no! All the temperature, size difference and all that, goldfish are messy. I wouldn't keep one with anything other than another goldfish! And I love guppies, hate goldfish. Except for black moors, my old friend Blackie has a place in my heart. RIP

5. Summer22 Valued Member Member

Agreed......My one year old fan tailed would devour them LOL (he's 6 inches head to tip of tail). I feel goldfish are a cold water fish but I think they can technically live in warm water but just because they can doesn't mean it's what their normal wild environment is like. I mean for their ancestors, like the fish they are from not that they are actually caught right out of rivers or something lol.

here's a pic of my big boy if I can get it to work...

Gold2.JPG

Ok well if it doesn't work it's my profile pic....but doesn't do his size justice lol

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  6. VioletSS Valued Member Member

7. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I personally wouldn't mix goldfish with anything except other goldfish.

My sister has a goldfish in a tropical tank I set up for her with a bristlenose, cories, and white cloud minnows (incompatibilities I know, but I didn't pick the fish). I can't stand the goldfish in there, as he is a pig and constantly uproots the plants, but he isn't my fish so I can't rehome him. Not to mention he poops nonstop and leaves chewed up duckweed everywhere.

He's cute, but I would rather him in his own tank or a pond (our neighbor has a goldfish pond... room for one more, maybe?)