Guppies and frogs in a 54 litres aquarium?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Ronaldo, Aug 3, 2015.

1. RonaldoNew MemberMember

Hi all!

I have bought a 54 litres aquarium and I'm thinking about getting some guppies along with a frog (see below). Can they live together?

What kind of bottom would fit for these two? I have thought about some light coloured sand...would this be OK? In my imagination that would look cool along with some plants and rocks :)

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecatWell Known MemberMember

Hi!
    It will work. The guppies will provide interest while the frogs are napping. Just make sure to toss in a few flake to distract the guppies when you feed the frogs, or better yet, feed the frogs some live food like hatched brine shrimp (or add a few cherries to provide shrimplets) along with the frozen blood worms and frog specific pellets you'd normally feed.

Frogs have crummy eye sight and can be out competed for food.

3. OP
    OP
    R

RonaldoNew MemberMember

maggie thecat - Thanks for the info. How many frogs would be a good number to start with? 2 or 3 maybe?

Will sand be all right for the frogs and guppies? If so what size should the sand corns be? :)

4. maggie thecat

A trio of frogs and a trio of guppies will work fine. I've never had any luck at all with frogs eating fry, (I tried, because I wanted them to have a live food source) so I'd go with all male guppies because often the females have already been bred at the LFS.

As for substrate, mine are on gravel. You could use any rated aquarium sand, including swimming pool filter sand, if you like the look.

5. Joshua Drake

Joshua DrakeWell Known MemberMember

I'd personally be fairly weary of it. Frogs have terrible eyesight, as mentioned, and not only do they get outcompeted for food, but they also mistake the fish for food and will take a chunk of the guppies flowing fins (assuming you are referring to fancies). I'm also not sure 3 males would be the safest route. If you want an all male cast of guppies, it's typically the more the better. 3 might be just fine, I'm just not entirely sure, I was always told that 2 was a risk of them fighting to death but having large groups (like 6-10) was perfectly acceptable.

6. maggie thecat

I've never had the frogs go after the fish or a small number of guppies fight. Even if the frogs did make a try, they're toothless, so a nip wouldn't be damaging.

7. OP
    OP
    R

RonaldoNew MemberMember

Thanks for your answers. What size sand corn should I go for? I would like to be able to plant some plants as well in it (ceratopteris + cryptocrone).

8. maggie thecat

By corn do you mean grain? anyway, use any commercial aquarium sand that you like the look of. If you stick to plants like crypts, Vals, and Anubis family, you won't need anything fancy. I don't use any supplements, or special soils, and my plants grow fine.

9. OP
    OP
    R

RonaldoNew MemberMember

Yes, sorry for the bad choice of word. I'm asking because I have seen people mentioning size of the grains. There are several and obviously I want to choose the one size that suits my fish best :) So I should just go for a commercial aquarium sand? Size don't matter?

10. shadowfish

shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

if i can interject a moment...be very careful about sand and frogs.the frogs eat off the sand and swallow some every time they eat (mine died this way and i used fine blasting sand).some say use a dish in the tank,but the frog will still eat some fallen fish food and still eat sand.if you do go with sand use really really fine sand because they can pass it. just thought you should know.

11. maggie thecat

As I said before, mine are on gravel. They like it fine. I've looked at frog boards before I brought mine, and as many people used sand as gravel. The sand people said their frogs like to dig in it, so avoid anything sharp. Avoiding sharp things in aquaria is usually a good idea in any event.

I use a small plate in my tank for target feeding. Plates are handy because if you feed a sinking food the frogs will know where they can find dinner. You can also put the occasional algae wafer on it to trap excess snails.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice