Guppies and "flashing" behavior = velvet??

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
How's your fish, Goldengill? We seem to have completely taken over your thread, sorry.

My mollies's flashing seems to have stopped after a cure of eSHa 2000. It claims to be a 'broad spectrum medication' (doesn't even say what kind of medication, like antibiotics, etc.) and work against primary and secondary fungus infections, bacterial infections, wound healing, skin parasites, internal parasites, worms, and encourages slime coat production.

No idea if it's true, but all I can say is they are muuuch better. I reckon the fact that I did NOT do water changes in 6 days, and that I reduced the bioload in the tank (removed 3 plecos and 1 molly, bringing the total headcount of my 15 gallon tank to 5 mollies) must have contributed a lot.

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My 2 cents.... ;D

Guppies are crazy and do strange things... My guppies will roll around on the substrate when the play with each other... Other times they dart around so fast you'd swear they were on fire. Other times the rub against objects in the tank for no reason at all. I have also observed similar behavior with other "live bearing" fish I keep.

I have never seen the danios do any of these things except the rolling around on the substrate thing when they play. So to be honest guppies are crazy and do strange things. Personally I would observe then very closely for a period of time before thinking they are sick or infected. They may just be if they are new additions to your tank though!!

Anyway... I'm done.. ;D

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
So you think it could be... nothing? That would be fabulous. With mine, when they flash and scratch, it really feels wrong. Do yours survive quite long even after they have that behaviour?

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 2 in a tank kept at my Moms that have done that since they were born. It's been about 18 months now and they are still doing the same things and alive and well...

Of course you still should observe them so you can see any signs of illness and what would be called "normal" for your fish. I have found that each fish is a bit different and each fish does different things that I have just learned to call normal behavior for that specific fish. ;D

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Mmmmh, I see. Hope I haven't been worrying for nothing. It definitely feels wrong when mine do it. Can't really explain. Plus they were getting a host of secondary infections. Interesting, interesting.

maggie

Valued Member
Reaction score
hey again, i hate to pop this post up again but i thought i'd let everyone know that after using the jungle parasite clear tablets my guppies stopped that funky scratching and flashing behavior. wooo! lol.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
maggie said:
hey again, i hate to pop this post up again but i thought i'd let everyone know that after using the jungle parasite clear tablets my guppies stopped that funky scratching and flashing behavior. wooo! lol.
congrats!

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
That's great, Maggie. You must be very relieved. So it was parasites, then. Good to know for next time, as it's happened to my fish too. Thanks for letting us know.

Cody

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
speaking of poop colors... i noticed this from my females during pernecy ...they ocaisionaly poop a creamy tan color ahh idk like when you see it you think they poop out one of ther organs its thick and that sort of a color ..not the normal brow color..does that mean anything its just from females when there preg not all the time just sometimes

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads