Guppies And Danios??

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by sassymomma, Mar 29, 2018.

1. sassymomma

sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,414
    Experience:
    4 years
    anyone know if guppies and danios can go together? My son wants to know. My first thought is that guppy males have long tails- so zebras might be too rambunctious for them? I do however miss having zebras, so if it's an option, I won't fight him on it.

I frankly prefer zebras to guppies and wish he'd asked for those first lol!

2. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,688
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have never had guppies but have always had Zebra Danios and as far as I can remember they have always gotten along with every one of their tank mates no matter who they were. They just spend all their time zipping around the tank minding their own business. I would say go for it if you have room for them.

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Maybe get some longfinned zebras so they not as active - tied down from the extra finnage - but many have mixed them in the same tank.
    IMO if your tank can support a shoal of zebras, feel free to add them.

4. Ethan22

Ethan22New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    From my years of experience, I wish I never got Danios hahaha they’re just too hyper. Just my opinion though, people love them.

5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,112
    Experience:
    1 year
    It could work.
    IME, guppies don’t breed as much at lower temps and live a bit longer at them so 74 might be good enough for both species.

6. Kellie Lanchbury

Kellie LanchburyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have both danios and male guppies and they seem fine. My guppies are also quite rambunctious so maybe that is why.

7. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,414
    Experience:
    4 years
    That morning game of "tag" is why I love zebras lol. the only reason that I don't have them now is that I didn't know enough, and I had too many males to females-resulting in harrasment of the females. I didn't have room in that smaller tank to add more.

That could be a good thing- I have arrangements with the pet store for fry if I get any, but if I DO add zebras, it'll tkae me close to capacity so reduced breeding is a plus. Of course, I've had my guppies in there for 3 months, and only one surprise fry so far, so they're not exacty prolific, this batch lol