Guppies and Cherry Shrimp?

AliceOtaku

I've been looking at ghost shrimp for a couple of weeks lately, then I found out that they'll eat smaller fish. I have 20 baby guppies (that happen to be 20 days old and getting a little bit of color. x33) and one male guppy that isn't getting bigger than an inch. Will Cherry shrimp eat them? or even be aggressive to the guppies? I'm planning on getting 2 or 3 if it works out. (of the cherry shrimp) and I'm also thinking about a few baby mystery snails.

Also, will the cherry shrimp eat leftover food and help clean the tank?

jetajockey

I'd be more worried about the guppies eating the cherry shrimp.

Cherry shrimp are good tank cleaners, and they don't eat fry. Heck I even keep them in tanks with eggs, and as far as I've seen, they just walk right over them, but will pick out any unfertilized ones. I've only been doing this for a few weeks though so my results are far from conclusive.

I have however been keeping cherry shrimp in fry tanks for quite some time with no issues whatsoever.

bolivianbaby

Just this week, I've started using cherry shrimp as fry protectors. I put fry in my daughter's shrimp tank so they don't get eaten.

At 20 days, I would think your guppy fry would be big enough to go back in the adult tank.

Hope this helps.

jetajockey

this reminds me of what happened a few days ago in my bowfront. Apparently something gave birth, I'm guessing one of the blue platys, and I saw a few fry in random places getting chased by adults. Well I go on a rescue mission to try to get a few to put into a growout tank, and I found like 1 or 2.

Well in the corner there is a red claw macro shrimp posted up, snipping his claws at the otocinclus that seems to not want to go away. So I look behind the red claw macro shrimp and he has about half a dozen little platy fry hiding behind him and under him and he kept them all safe from the adults lol.

bolivianbaby

jetajockey said:
this reminds me of what happened a few days ago in my bowfront. Apparently something gave birth, I'm guessing one of the blue platys, and I saw a few fry in random places getting chased by adults. Well I go on a rescue mission to try to get a few to put into a growout tank, and I found like 1 or 2.

Well in the corner there is a red claw macro shrimp posted up, snipping his claws at the otocinclus that seems to not want to go away. So I look behind the red claw macro shrimp and he has about half a dozen little platy fry hiding behind him and under him and he kept them all safe from the adults lol.

That's awesome! I bet the macro shrimp has earned a home for life with that rescue!

jetajockey

bolivianbaby said:
That's awesome! I bet the macro shrimp has earned a home for life with that rescue!

Haha yeah, there's 2 of them still in there, one died a few weeks ago for no apparent reason. I've had them for quite some time now and they were adults when I got them, though.

I had RCS in that tank also but they just disappeared with time, I was thinking the macros were eating them, and they very well could have been, it seems like they only go after stuff that is slow or sitting still.

proudtobeafarmgirl

I have a handful of RCS in with my guppies and they are doing well, they had their own 20 gallon tank and died off but for some reason seem to be doing okay with the guppies who for the most part ignore them but sometimes go up and give them a kiss to see if they are to eat or for what ever other reason. The cherries flit away then sit there and seem ready to try to defend their helpless selves if the guppies try it again. They do a great job of cleaning the tank, algae and if any fish food is lucky enough to hit the bottom of the tank the shrimp and the catfish make short work of it. I really enjoy watching the shrimp zoom around the tank, they are cute little creatures and I wish they would have worked out better for me. Maybe after we move and get settled in I can add a few more.

AliceOtaku

Thanks ^ -^!! I'll look into getting one :3!

Top Bottom