Guppies and Cherry Shrimp?

AliceOtaku

I've been looking at ghost shrimp for a couple of weeks lately, then I found out that they'll eat smaller fish. I have 20 baby guppies (that happen to be 20 days old and getting a little bit of color. x33) and one male guppy that isn't getting bigger than an inch. Will Cherry shrimp eat them? or even be aggressive to the guppies? I'm planning on getting 2 or 3 if it works out. (of the cherry shrimp) and I'm also thinking about a few baby mystery snails.

Also, will the cherry shrimp eat leftover food and help clean the tank?

jetajockey

I'd be more worried about the guppies eating the cherry shrimp.

Cherry shrimp are good tank cleaners, and they don't eat fry. Heck I even keep them in tanks with eggs, and as far as I've seen, they just walk right over them, but will pick out any unfertilized ones. I've only been doing this for a few weeks though so my results are far from conclusive.

I have however been keeping cherry shrimp in fry tanks for quite some time with no issues whatsoever.

bolivianbaby

Just this week, I've started using cherry shrimp as fry protectors. I put fry in my daughter's shrimp tank so they don't get eaten.

At 20 days, I would think your guppy fry would be big enough to go back in the adult tank.

Hope this helps.

jetajockey

this reminds me of what happened a few days ago in my bowfront. Apparently something gave birth, I'm guessing one of the blue platys, and I saw a few fry in random places getting chased by adults. Well I go on a rescue mission to try to get a few to put into a growout tank, and I found like 1 or 2.

Well in the corner there is a red claw macro shrimp posted up, snipping his claws at the otocinclus that seems to not want to go away. So I look behind the red claw macro shrimp and he has about half a dozen little platy fry hiding behind him and under him and he kept them all safe from the adults lol.

bolivianbaby

this reminds me of what happened a few days ago in my bowfront. Apparently something gave birth, I'm guessing one of the blue platys, and I saw a few fry in random places getting chased by adults. Well I go on a rescue mission to try to get a few to put into a growout tank, and I found like 1 or 2.

Well in the corner there is a red claw macro shrimp posted up, snipping his claws at the otocinclus that seems to not want to go away. So I look behind the red claw macro shrimp and he has about half a dozen little platy fry hiding behind him and under him and he kept them all safe from the adults lol.

That's awesome! I bet the macro shrimp has earned a home for life with that rescue!

jetajockey

That's awesome! I bet the macro shrimp has earned a home for life with that rescue!

Haha yeah, there's 2 of them still in there, one died a few weeks ago for no apparent reason. I've had them for quite some time now and they were adults when I got them, though.

I had RCS in that tank also but they just disappeared with time, I was thinking the macros were eating them, and they very well could have been, it seems like they only go after stuff that is slow or sitting still.

proudtobeafarmgirl

I have a handful of RCS in with my guppies and they are doing well, they had their own 20 gallon tank and died off but for some reason seem to be doing okay with the guppies who for the most part ignore them but sometimes go up and give them a kiss to see if they are to eat or for what ever other reason. The cherries flit away then sit there and seem ready to try to defend their helpless selves if the guppies try it again. They do a great job of cleaning the tank, algae and if any fish food is lucky enough to hit the bottom of the tank the shrimp and the catfish make short work of it. I really enjoy watching the shrimp zoom around the tank, they are cute little creatures and I wish they would have worked out better for me. Maybe after we move and get settled in I can add a few more.

AliceOtaku

Thanks ^ -^!! I'll look into getting one :3!

Tam9674

I added 3 cherry shrimp to my 10 gallon tank that has 3 guppies. I found one shrimp dead and the other 2 are just gone. Found bits and pieces throughout the gravel... Did the guppies eat them?

Quibbles

I believe so... SIP little shrimp.

TexasDomer

They may not have killed them though - it's possible the shrimp died and the guppies cleaned them up. How did you acclimate them? What are your water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

Tropicwolf

I have 4 guppies and two ghost shrimp, they're still alive after about a month

They may not have killed them though - it's possible the shrimp died and the guppies cleaned them up. How did you acclimate them? What are your water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

I agree

Tam9674

I guess that is possible too. My 2 female guppies are such piggies, I just assumed they went after them. My ph is 7, ammonia-0, nitrites-0, nitrates->10, temp is 78. I acclimated by adding water to the bag every 15 min until I had 2/3 of my tank water in there.

Jocelyn Adelman

I have eight guppies, which were in the tank first and about ten or so red cherry shrimp, they totally ignore one another... I first got six shrimp and two died within a day even with drip acclimation. I then got ten more, lost another three... Have about 11 I guess then . I read that shrimp don't always acclimate well... Also shrimp tend to molt when put into a new tank... Could be the old exoskeleton you found...

Wraithen

Ever see a video of molting rcs. I think this may trigger an attack by guppies. I had a female that suddenly gained weight when my two rcs molted. Found the molts but nothing else.

Now my bigger rcs females would fight the guppies if they got too close to whatever plant was dinner at the moment.

Aquarium Newb

They may have eaten them, although it also depends on the size of the guppies and shrimp. My biggest rcs charges at my guppies if they get too close to her, other 2will run away and the guppies can't catch them. It all just depends on the temperament, when my guppy got aggressive she started right away, so it would be smart to watch them for a bit.

MD_Plants

I know there is a lot of debate between having guppies with shrimp or not. The current setup I have is is
IMG_7812.jpg

There is 5 crs in the tank but planning on adding some more. What I want to know is what how do you think 4 guppies will do in this 10 gallon tank?

Jessica J

I have 5 female guppies and some fry in a 10 gallon with two shrimp and they don't bother them. It's been about a month since we added them.

x0769

Adult shrimps should be ok, but some baby shrimps, probably not.

H Farnsworth

I’ve noticed amano and ghost shrimp are left alone but neocaridina are sometimes bothered.

MD_Plants

How much plant protection will I need to best protect the shrimp? The entire ground is covered in java

waterwings

I’d think you have good coverage. Mine seem to be doing good in a similar set up.

Attachments

• A77582BD-FA92-4D2B-9918-54739D1A0B3B.jpeg
    A77582BD-FA92-4D2B-9918-54739D1A0B3B.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 80BF8251-B2E8-4EAA-A432-D1B6D2E4B276.jpeg
    80BF8251-B2E8-4EAA-A432-D1B6D2E4B276.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 86

Jellibeen

Has anyone ever kept guppies and dwarf shrimp together? I have a 10 gallon cherry shrimp colony that I will be moving into a 15 gallon column tank soon. I will also be getting three male guppies from a friend when she is done cycling her tank. I have other tanks the guppies could go in if it would be bad to keep them with shrimp, but it would be nice to keep them together.

Does anyone have experience keeping guppies and shrimp together? Did the shrimp get eaten? are guppies like bettas, in which it depends on the personality of the fish?

Samuel97

Guppies most likely will eat shrimp, especially fry. But! That doesn’t mean it can’t be done and it often is,

My advice:
1. Settle your shrimp in first. This will allow them to explore the tank safely, and adding them after the guppies makes them more likely to think they are food delivered from the heavens
2. Provide plenty of hiding spaces, eg shrimp tubes or dense moss clumps. Pregnant females are great at recognising where they are safe and happy to raise the young ones. This means there is a greater chance their rate of breeding will out compete the rate at which the babies are picked off by the guppies for coming out of safety.
3. Keep your guppies fed well. If they aren’t hungry, they won’t hunt the shrimp.

Good luck and send us pictures!

Jellibeen

Hmm, I think I will probably pass on adding the guppies. maybe a snail or otto. I will certainly be posting pictures! I have some gorgeous driftwood on its way to me that will fit the tank perfectly. my shrimp already crawl up and down in my 10 gallon. it will be lovely to see them using all the space in the 15.

FlipFlopFishFlake

I have kept guppies with shrimp, and there wasn't a noticeable decrease in population. They probably will eat some of the babies, but with a heavily planted setup a decent amount of shrimplets should survive. Endlers, in my experience, tend to be better tank mates as the babies get too large to eat sooner for the endlers then the guppies because the endlers are a lot smaller.

Samuel97

Hmm, I think I will probably pass on adding the guppies. maybe a snail or otto. I will certainly be posting pictures! I have some gorgeous driftwood on its way to me that will fit the tank perfectly. my shrimp already crawl up and down in my 10 gallon. it will be lovely to see them using all the space in the 15.

Otos have a much much better track record with shrimp and that sounds like a great plan

Jocelyn Adelman

My neos thrived with guppies, still do. Have on occasion found a guppy with a full grown adult shrimp in its mouth (was even able to get a pic!), and I’m sure some shrimplets get eaten here and there, but colony is stable (hundreds, started from 20)

Jellibeen

My neos thrived with guppies, still do. Have on occasion found a guppy with a full grown adult shrimp in its mouth (was even able to get a pic!), and I’m sure some shrimplets get eaten here and there, but colony is stable (hundreds, started from 20)

I would like to see that pic!

tjander

I am keeping a school for dwarf cory's in my shrimp tank. So far no issues.

Jocelyn Adelman

Jellibeen had to dig around a bit to find them, slightly hard to make out (I was in shock while trying to get the pic lol). Shrimp went in tail first so what you see is the head and eyes sticking out of her mouth

Attachments

• 69046999-8FE4-4004-BF6B-857439DD15E5.png
    69046999-8FE4-4004-BF6B-857439DD15E5.png
    571.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 6467FCAD-7A13-4F3B-8324-7DDD1B274198.png
    6467FCAD-7A13-4F3B-8324-7DDD1B274198.png
    749.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 555F2148-B82C-4B63-BC80-5435F627190A.png
    555F2148-B82C-4B63-BC80-5435F627190A.png
    640 KB · Views: 112

Mary765

Hi!

I have a 5 gallon tank (fairly well planted) with 2 male guppies in it and I was wondering if I could add some red cherry shrimp.

The males are somewhat aggressive to one another, no tail biting but a fair bit of chasing. There is good plant cover in the tank though and it's well filtered.

(Sorry about the cloudy water, I've just done a water change)

Do you think the shrimp would be safe or is there a risk of them being eaten?

Attachments

• 20181216_194744.jpg
    20181216_194744.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 508

richiep

If you can find someone with culls, those are low grade shrimp ide try them to see how they go, your guppies will no doubt eat any young but larger shrimp have a chance, as the plants establish your survival rate will increase, it's also possible the fish will leave them alone if kept fed but don't over feed them for the sake of the shrimp,

Mary765

If you can find someone with culls, those are low grade shrimp ide try them to see how they go, your guppies will no doubt eat any young but larger shrimp have a chance, as the plants establish your survival rate will increase, it's also possible the fish will leave them alone if kept fed but don't over feed them for the sake of the shrimp,

I've found someone who is selling 10 low-ish grade shrimp for £5 so they will be a good place to start

Thanks for the advice! I guess I should just go for it and see what happens, I don't really have a lot to lose.

Is 10 shrimp too much?

richiep

10 is great but don't forget you must acclamatise your shrimp, do you know how to do this, pitty you wernt a little closer I'd give you all the shrimp you want, but 10 for a fiver is good

Platylover

I believe you could and do suggest doing what Richie said, but wanted to also throw out the suggestion of making a densely planted corner. If you were to add a few more plants to one of the corner and perhaps some of the minI terricotta pots, this would provide a safer zone for the shrimp. The fish would have a bit more difficulty getting to them, so if the shrimp did need to get away they’d at least have somewhere to go.

AJE

Do it

Guanchy

you certainly can, Guppies will for the most part leave the adults alone, but they will go for the baby shrimps

Mary765

10 is great but don't forget you must acclamatise your shrimp, do you know how to do this, pitty you wernt a little closer I'd give you all the shrimp you want, but 10 for a fiver is good

Thank you, I wish I was closer too lol. Just wanted to make sure 10 shrimp all at once wouldn't hurt my tank cycle at all

I believe you could and do suggest doing what Richie said, but wanted to also throw out the suggestion of making a densely planted corner. If you were to add a few more plants to one of the corner and perhaps some of the minI terricotta pots, this would provide a safer zone for the shrimp. The fish would have a bit more difficulty getting to them, so if the shrimp did need to get away they’d at least have somewhere to go.

That's a good idea thanks! I have a really intricate piece of driftwood-root which I will boil and add (and I might buy a couple more plants for the corner!)

richiep

The bioload on shrimp is so small it'll have no impact on your cycle what so ever

richiep

A little bit of jarva moss will help if you like that sort of plant, looking at your plants the one in the basket is it in its original packing from when you bought it

Swlws

Good to know the results of this as I'm planning on getting shrimp for my big tank when its set up and will (well, maybe) have guppies in it.

richiep

the longer you leave the tank the greater survival rate on your shrimp, 2 to 3 months will put you in good sted

Swlws

the longer you leave the tank the greater survival rate on your shrimp, 2 to 3 months will put you in good sted
Is this to let the fish settle down and form their daily habits so when you add the shrimp they don't just think "FOOD!!!"?

LuxuriantTen

no it's mainly because in general shrimp need good water quality and a cycled tank has more stable parametres. Also a lot of shrimp eat algae and biofilm which needs a couple of months to grow in your tank

Swlws

no it's mainly because in general shrimp need good water quality and a cycled tank has more stable parametres. Also a lot of shrimp eat algae and biofilm which needs a couple of months to grow in your tank
That makes a lot of sense!

georgelee1000

Your adults will be fine. Babies will get eaten unless you have a lot of hiding places.

Mary765

A little bit of jarva moss will help if you like that sort of plant, looking at your plants the one in the basket is it in its original packing from when you bought it

Yeah I'm planning on attaching that one to the driftwood and don't want to take it out of the pot until the transfer is ready

Good to know the results of this as I'm planning on getting shrimp for my big tank when its set up and will (well, maybe) have guppies in it.

Don't worry, I'll keep you updated!

Your adults will be fine. Babies will get eaten unless you have a lot of hiding places.

Secretly hoping the occasional baby might pull through

Mary765

Guys I just lost the original seller I had my eye on I will still be getting shrimp, but that puts a spanner in the works for the time being. Guess I will check the prices of my lfs.

georgelee1000

Yeah I'm planning on attaching that one to the driftwood and don't want to take it out of the pot until the transfer is ready

Don't worry, I'll keep you updated!

Secretly hoping the occasional baby might pull through

Then plant your tank densely. Hairgrass on the bottom and/or water lettuce over the top. These grass/root will help these shrimps hide. I have a friend who kept a lot of shrimps babies and adults with guppies/tetras. The secret is plant.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views
tjander
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views