Guppies and African Dwarf Frogs 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Katy82, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Katy82

Katy82 Well Known Member Member

I’m starting up a 10 gallon tank for my Son. My question is in regards to stocking.

I’d like to go with African Dwarf Frogs (maybe 2) and Guppies (not sure how many). Do you think it would be an OK combination?

I’ve been reading the forums and see that people are split about dwarf frogs in a community tank. I have no issues spot feeding, was actually hoping to get them used to eating from a dish at the bottom of the tank. I also realize that the guppies are live bearers and any little fry will become a snack for the frogs. So I was thinking of getting just one sex for the guppies. Not sure if all males or females would be the better choice.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? I’m planning on using Tetra Safe Start to cycle the tank after reading the Q&A.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

I keep a frog in my 5 with a betta. I wouldn't worry at all about them in a 10 with guppies. I'm not sure how effective the frogs will be at eating fry. I would try 4-5 males.

3. OP
    OP
    Katy82

So what would you recommend stocking wise? What should I put in the tank first the frogs or the guppies? From what I understand the guppies a little "tougher" so maybe add those with the Safe Start and wait a few weeks for the little froggers?

And lastly, do you think i could put a snali in? I don't know much about them.

4. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

I would go with the guppies first. ADF are sensitive. I would not add them until the tank has been cycled for at least 2 months. So if your going to use Tetra Safe Start. Wait out the 2 weeks, test with the master test kit. And if your cycled wait 2 months from that time. You may want to hold out for more experienced advice on those tho. I am just going by what I have read about them.

As far as the guppies. I would stick with all males. I think 5 is a good number. I love guppies and their personalities. Especially the boys :)

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Katy, welcome to FishLore!

You'll need to pay close attention that the frogs eat.
    They are often slow to find their food.
    Be prepared to babysit at feeding time.

Personally, I like my adf's in a species only tank.
    They're such fun.

6. OP
    OP
    Katy82

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!

Will definitely do guppies first and introduce frogs later on. If the frogs aren't doing well with he guppies I guess I will just have to get then there own tank! Oh darn.....

Anybody have thoughts on some sort of snail for the tank? I really have no knowledge about them.

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:giggle:

A nerite but be a good option.
    They don't get horribly big like some.

If the snail question doesn't get responses you can always start a new stocking thread with snails in the title.

8. Landozer18

Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

Nerites +1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice