Guppies All Died And Water Test Appears Ok. No Signs Of Ammonia...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by TreyAL, Mar 1, 2019.

1. TreyAL

TreyALNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I set up a new 10 gallon tank and conditioned the water. I did a fishless cycle over 2 weeks with a little API QuickStart. I used the API master test kit and everything seemed ok. Ammonia and nitrite were 0. Nitrate was pretty close to 0 (test was halfway between first and second color). PH was 7.6. I add 3 guppies and 1 molly. All of the guppies died with a week but the molly is still doing fine. I tested the water after each death and parameters remained the same. Also, there were no visible signs of illness in the fish.

I thought the nitrate count would be a little higher this far in the cycle but I honestly don’t know. I'm a little hesitant to run out and buy more fish because I must be doing something wrong.

2. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    What was your ammonia source during the fishless cycle?

3. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Did you add anything else besides the quick start? Like an ammonia source.
    Ninjaed again.

4. OP
    OP
    TreyAL

TreyALNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Dr Tims Aquatic Chloride.... Once ammonia reached 2ppm I continued testing the water daily until it went to 0. Nitrate went up but then everything went to 0. I figured the tank was ready. Now I've got 1 fish so I can't do another fishless cycle. any advice?

Dr Tims Aquatic chloride and Prime.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2019
  5. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Are you beating the snot out of the nitrate bottles? They tend to separate.

6. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    Where did you buy your fish from? Depending on distributors, sometimes you get a bad batch. With the store I used to work for, I would always see like half our guppies and platies die within a week...

7. OP
    OP
    TreyAL

TreyALNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    The guppies were from Pet Smart. Part of me wonders if that might have something do with it. The dalmation molly was from a local aquarium store (mom and pop type). It seems to be doing ok. I'm questioning whether my fishless cycle was a success. Now that I have fish in it, I guess I have no choice but to let it continue cycling naturally. I guess I'm trying to figure out what I should do next. Should I wait before I add new fish? Or, should I type to promote the cycle further with something like Quick Start before adding more fish?

8. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    Petsmart get their fish from Sunpet, which is notoriously bad. They're the same distributor my cheap boss used...

9. JamieLu

JamieLuWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +348
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have a question I'm a bit confused on. When u did ur fishless cycle did u only dose the ammonia up to 2ppm once?

10. OP
    OP
    TreyAL

TreyALNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that might be the problem. I followed the instructions the store gave me. I cycled until the Ammonia went up to 2ppm and then down to 0. Then I added the Quick Start. Was I given bad direction? If so, what do I do at this point? I have a dalmation molly that seems to be doing well. I figure the tank is going to cycle naturally at this point. I don't want to add another fish only to have it die. So, I'm trying to figure out what steps to take from here. Obviously, I'm a little hesitant to follow pet store advice right now.

11. Celestialpearl

CelestialpearlValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +115
    All of the fish I have got from PetSmart have died. I no longer get my fish there. In all I bought a 12 male guppies, 8 female guppies and 4 Flase julii Cory cats. I treated the first set and second for parasites and bacterial infection b/c they had white stringy poop, developed red hemorrhages and they dropped like flies one after the other. The Cory cats developed pop eye shortly after adding them to my tank. I don’t know what caused that but my water checked out with my master kit and their strips.

One female gave birth and I still have the babies which are happy and healthy.

12. Donthemon

DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +434
    Experience:
    4 years
    Get some Safestart Plus and start over for a fish in cycle.

13. Celestialpearl

Ratings:
    +115
    I dose initially ammonia until I get 4ppm then I let it go down to 1 or 2 ppm(takes a couple weeks), check nitrite they are usually high with no nitrate. Then I wait another week and usually ammonia has gone down below 1, nitrite falls, nitrate is around 10ppm. Then I dose until 2ppm wait until ammonia is 0 again. Then I repeat the initial dose. The tank is cycled when the initial dose of ammonia is able to be eliminated within 24 hours and there are no nitrites.

Additionally I add an entire 4oz bottle of Fluval Cycle bio enhancer with the initial dose and will add 10mL every day until cycled.

In my experience more often than not the big box stores will misinform new aquarist and promote some type of product to magically fix the issue to drive up sales. Only occasionally I see an employee who is in the hobby and knows when and what to defer people to.

At this point you are stuck with a fish in cycle. Using safe start or any other bio booster may help a little, it certainly will not hurt.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  14. JamieLu

Ratings:
    +348
    Experience:
    2 years
    Well I've never done fishless cycle but yes, bad advice. U have to keep adding ammonia to keep it at 2 or 3ppm, get a nitrite reading and even til that drops to 0 as well. I could b a bit wrong but it takes around a month give or take so yes, tank has to cycle the fish in way now. But that's doable. I never trust the pet stores, reseach as much as u can and forums like this are great for questions so people with experience can help and have no other intentions such as selling u something. I don't think 1 molly will be enough to cycle ur tank effectively. I know it's kind of a debate but maybe 2-3 would b good for ur 10 gallon, as long as they are relatively small, hardy and fish u want to keep. Im just about done cycling my 20gal tall, maybe it's 15gal, I never actually checked(I bought it second hand and was told it was way bigger then what I got) but I used 3 mollies. 2 most of the time but I think the addition of the 3rd helped. U just need to make sure u have prime conditioner and do daily water changes to keep ammo and nitrites below 1ppm so ur fish will make it thro. Depending on ur amount of ammo and nitrites is how much water u will need to change. I think u should talk to @mattgirl cuz she helps everyone with fish in cycles! :D ud b better off talking to her then me! Good luck

15. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes 1 Molly is enough to cycle a 10 gallon tank. I cycled my 75 with just a 2-3" pleco. Worked fine. You have already added your biological booster so your good there. I would just keep testing your water and partial water changes as needed. I would wait probably 3-4 weeks before adding any other fish. It will allow it cycle and to make sure your current fish is healthy.

16. Celestialpearl

Ratings:
    +115
    I second this.

Definitely want to keep ammonia around or below 1ppm. If you have a high pH at/above 8 definitely keep it 0.5-1ppm. Ammonia is more harmful at higher pH. You will need some ammonia though to get a cycle going so don’t try to keep it 0 all the time. If you have softer water around 6.5-7 ammonia is ok at 1. It won’t do as much damage, it’s not as “toxic”. Although with mollies you’ll want a mid-high pH.

2-3 fish will definitely help produce the waste needed to get things going. My preferred Lfs prefers fish in cycle and they commonly recommend platies, guppies and mollies for this method- hardy fish.

17. JamieLu

Ratings:
    +348
    Experience:
    2 years
    I also used tetra safe start a
    Ur so smart and helpful david! Like I said OP I'm not good with number of fish for cycling so I apologize. David has more experience then me for sure. Thanks for correcting me!

18. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Your fine. I tend be a little conservative anymore. It takes less water changes that way. The more fish you have the more waist, the more waist the more you need to test and do water changes. And staying with just the fish op has it will give them a month to both get the hang of it and to make sure this fish is healthy.