guppies aggressive towards a platy

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have two male guppies that are harassing a female platy I have. I was told in the beginner's forum they probably wanted to mate with her cause they aren't that bright. They said if I got more females they would spread it out amongst all of them. I bought two more females but the guppies are still focusing all their aggression at the original female. What's up?

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sometimes the males just simply prefer one female over another based on color, behavior, and size. Sometimes the males will start to "open up" to the new female but Ive noticed sometimes the males wont start harassing the new female until the old one is gone for some reason. I would keep an eye on things for the next week or so and see if the males start to open up to the new female. As long as the old female doesnt appear to be stressed from all the harassment she should be fine for a little while. If they dont open up to the new female try putting the old one in a breeders net/box for a few days and see if the guppies start paying attention to the new girl

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is it normal for guppies to do this with platies?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom