Guppie With Fin Rot?

1. Frani

Frani Initiate Member

i have a guppy that I think has fin rot or maybe something else? There has been no nipping. Water perimeters are .0 ammonia .0 nitrite 10 nitrate. Is this fin rot? I got him at a petsmart so it could be anything. He is the whiteish pinkish one in the photos. 4B88AADE-3AC9-4C2C-9245-F3E9DD8078C4.jpeg 5AA08368-90BB-4D61-88CB-D055B6268EB5.jpeg 286463F2-703F-4A18-B30B-4A84A35E3140.jpeg 7A6B2043-AD60-470F-B306-5BED52F562DA.jpeg

2. s

shinbruise Initiate Member

It's hard to see in the photos, its tail shape could be due to a lot of nipping, but it definitely looks wasted away in the second image. I would say fin rot is a likely possibility. Is it rubbing against anything, or acting lethargic?

3. OP
    OP
    Frani

Frani Initiate Member

He’s not rubbing against anything or acting sluggish, he is very active. He is in a community tank so would you recommend treating the whole tank?

4. s

You could, it depends on the medication though. However the best way to get the meds to actually work is to put the fish in a quarantine tank while you're treating it. I'd recommend aquarium salt, since the infection seems quite mild. Don't use it for too long though, 7 days is the maximum imo. Make sure to do frequent water changes in the quarantine as well.

5. OP
    OP
    Frani

Frani Initiate Member

Would a 7 gallon bucket be ok to use as a quarantine tank? I have an extra heater, filter, etc.

6. s

Yup, as long as the water is fine and you have proper equipment it should work. Make sure the water is somewhat cold to fight harmful bacteria growth.

7. OP
    OP
    Frani

Frani Initiate Member

Thanks for the advice!