Guppie Tank Question

1. flotus48 Member Member

I'm in the process of setting up a 29 Gal tank. I love guppies, so they will be the bulk of residents. I now if I put male/female together I will end up with a WHOLE bunch of guppies eventually. So I'm wondering if I limit my tank to just males if there will be a aggression issue.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

my males tore eachother apart with just the boys...when i finally stocked it 1m to 3-4f , it was a happy tank...if you dont want fry, let mother nature take over...if you do, thats cool also.....

but there are members who have good luck with all males...its just mine that seem to tear up eachothers tails :(

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

If you are trying to limit your fry, limit the number of hiding places. Our guppy tank population has exploded over the past month because 1/2 of it is plants.

Hope this helps. It sounds like it'll be an awesome tank. Can't wait for pics.

4. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

From someone who also loves guppies, I would wait until you have a second tank set up before you think about letting them breed. Though you can certainly have a breeder box. But be sure you think about all thisbefore you wish for lots of babies. Do a search on this forum and you'll find lots of input.
    good luck

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I love my gupsters - I think your tank will be loads of fun! :)

I agree that too many males in one tank can get aggressive with each other. 2-3 males is safe imo. I do 3 females per male and that seems about perfect. Females, especially the blues, can be just as beautiful as the males.

Each female will give birth to 20-40 fry every month or so. But, like BB said, if you limit the hiding places for the fry (no java moss or similar compact plants), then the other fishies will eat the fry and you won't have to worry about a million babies. I have a lot of gupsters in my 55g and the only fry that survive are ones that I rescue.

It sounds like it will be a beautiful tank!!! :;cr

6. ray_sj Member Member

I have 2 peaceful tanks of fancy male guppies. After a year of learning, trial and error, I found that I can keep them happy if:

1. No more than 3 guppies/10 gallons (for juveniles/adults more than 3 months old)
    2. All guppies are about the same size.
    3. Plenty of plants/hiding places (if there is any chasing).

This has been my experience. Before I discovered these things, I did have problems with chasing, fin rot from overcrowding, etc.

7. Shadowbeam Member Member

This is some handy advice to me cause i wanted to get 3 male fancy guppies for my 55g, does this still work if there are no females?
    I only want to get them if there is a good chance they will be ok

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

ANY bigger tanks(your 55 should be just great) will work fine for all males IMO ...but they will find one another and you just have to keep an eye on them....under 30g , an all male tank has always given me issues...but i get the fancy tailed boys and I just hate to see any tears or rips in their fins ..but thats me

9. ray_sj Member Member

Shadowbeam, I meant 3 male guppies for every 10 gallons of water in your tank, if you're keeping all males. So you should be fine with your 55g. I actually have 6 males in a 20g without any problems. They chase occasionally for a few seconds, but that's about it.

If I had a plan to deal with the fry, I'd gladly keep them with the females!

10. flotus48 Member Member

As always the info received in this forum is excellent. So I think I'll do 2 male 6 female guppies ( I really like the blue ones) and a school of about 6 neon tetras along with my 4 corys. Do you think there is room for about 3 otto's? it's a 29 gal tank and the fish are small.

11. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Those neons are gonna look beautiful with the blue gupsters! Sounds like a nice stocking list and a great tank. :) Just don't add them all at once! :D

12. flotus48 Member Member

I add fish about 3 weeks apart. The corys are in. Gups, then neons. It's a 29 gal tank and I going to run two filters. I used safestart at starup and let it go 2 weeks before adding the corys. Water parameters are real good.

13. Shadowbeam Member Member

Thanks for the advice guys and I hope everything goes well with your tank flotus, let us know how you get on!

14. flotus48 Member Member

Will Do Thanks

15. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Aw, sounds great, I have 2 females, 1 blue and one with a black tail with bright yellow/green spots on it, she's lovely! When I bought my first guppies, one was already pregnant (which I knew nothing about) so I randomly got thrown in with babies, and as a newbie, I was shocked. They're growing up great now, and look wonderful altogether, especially now they're starting to colour up. Good luck, I have tetras and cories too with them, great mix, no trouble, let us know how it goes, and get us some pics!!

16. Toddnbecka Member Member

There's a conflict in that stocking plan; neons prefer soft, neutral-acidic water, guppies (and most other livebearers) prefer harder, alkaline water. Oto's really don't do well in new tanks, much better chances of them surviving in well-established and usually fairly heavily planted tanks. A BN pleco would be a better choice for an algae eater.
    Incidentally, 6 female guppies are going to produce quite a number of fry. I'd toss in a 4-5 Akysis catfish for fry control to keep the tank from becoming overloaded with guppies. Works great with my endler's, the adults are safe but fry gradually disappear.