GULPING & SHUDDERING

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by sbrod, Mar 23, 2006.

1. sbrodNew MemberMember

About 3 weeks ago, my 6-year old son won a goldfish at the fair.  Two weeks ago, we set up a 10-gallon tank w/an Aqua-Tech Power Filter and added 2 additional goldfish from a local pet store.  4 days ago, I noticed that all 3 fish had begun to make constant gulping motions with their mouths, in addition to shuddering/shivering/convulsing (I’m not sure which adjective is most appropriate, but by using all three, hopefully, you’re getting a pretty clear picture of what’s going on) once or twice during each 60 second time period.  2 days ago, I took a water sample to the pet store and was told it was A-OK…no problems with the pH, ammonia or anything else.

Sadly, I arrived home from work yesterday evening and found the fish from the Fair had died.  Needless to say, my son was quite upset.  I (obviously NOT thinking) took my son to the pet store last night and we brought home another fish – a bubble-eyed one.  After allowing for water temperature adjustment, I introduced the new fish into the tank and within an hour of doing so, the new one began gulping and shuddering, too.  I would REALLY prefer to avoid any more deaths in the near future, for the sake of my son and would, therefore, be very grateful for any information, wisdom, insight, suggestions, etc., that anyone may be able to offer me. 

Thank you so much.

Michelle

2. sbrodNew MemberMember

HELP!!! Goldfish Gulping & Shuddering

About 3 weeks ago, my 6-year old son won a goldfish at the fair.  Two weeks ago, we set up a 10-gallon tank w/an Aqua-Tech Power Filter and added 2 additional goldfish from a local pet store.  4 days ago, I noticed that all 3 fish had begun to make constant gulping motions with their mouths, in addition to shuddering/shivering/convulsing (I’m not sure which adjective is most appropriate, but by using all three, hopefully, you’re getting a pretty clear picture of what’s going on) once or twice during each 60 second time period.  2 days ago, I took a water sample to the pet store and was told it was A-OK…no problems with the pH, ammonia or anything else.

Sadly, I arrived home from work yesterday evening and found the fish from the Fair had died.  Needless to say, my son was quite upset.  :'( :'( :'( :'( I (obviously NOT thinking) took my son to the pet store last night and we brought home another fish – a bubble-eyed one.  After allowing for water temperature adjustment, I introduced the new fish into the tank and within an hour of doing so, the new one began gulping and shuddering, too.  I would REALLY prefer to avoid any more deaths in the near future, for the sake of my son and would, therefore, be very grateful for any information, wisdom, insight, suggestions, etc., that anyone may be able to offer me.  Thank you so much.

Michelle

3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Re: HELP!!! Goldfish Gulping & Shuddering

Goldfish are huge waste producers, and even though the fish store told you your water was ok I'm betting it wasn't. This is where a water esting kit of your own comes in handy. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals puts out a fairly inexpensive and reliable test kit.
    The recommendations for goldfish is twenty gallons for the first fish and an additional ten gallons for each additional fish, meaning the tank is a little small for the goldfish and I don't think it's cycled.
    Here is some interesting articles that will help you get your tank headed in the right direction.
    https://www.fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=620.0
    The best thing for a fast fix is a 50% water change. When ever having a fishie problem a water change is never a wrong thing to do.
    So keep us posted as to how they do. Good luck.
    Carol

4. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

You say all this has taken place in the last 3 weeks. I do not think your tank could be cycled with a new filter in that length of time unless you had used Bio-spira and I am not even sure you can use it on a Goldfish tank. Goldfish have to be kept in room temperature water. You aren't using a heater are you, you didn't mention one. They are still sensitive to nitrite and nitrate though. Even though your ammonia may be okay, all that may mean at this point is that your cycle hasn't STARTED yet. With a power filter it will still have to take place and will take about 4 to 6 weeks. That is why I am thinking the problem may be NITRITES because they can be as deadly as ammonia.

I do have to admit I have not ever had a cool water tank so someone else may better answer your question, but this would be my best answer.

Welcome to Fishlore.com. It has been my pleasure to post to you. I hope your experience here is as pleasant as mine has been and continues to be. The people here are very friendly and helpful and this is one of the best sites on the web in my opinion.

Rose
    :)

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Michelle I hope you don't mind that I merged your two posts. it's really confusing having the same question in two different places. This way maybe you will get more views and answers in one place. By the way......
    WELCOME TO fISHlORE!!!!!!!!!
    Carol

6. sbrodNew MemberMember

I thank you both for your replies to my plea and for the info & article links you provided.  No, I am not using a heater...had wondered, in fact, if it was possible that the water was too cold.  But, based on what you said, I doubt that is the problem. I also did do a 50% water changed about 10 p.m. last night but, sadly, I awoke today to another fatality.  I managed to distact my son from the tank this morning, but that just means that I've gotta deal with the issue in a few hours.  I wish I knew the tank was OK and then I could just go buy another fish like the one that died this a.m. and maybe fool the poor child.  If the bottom line is that it's just going to take a certain amount of time for the tank to "cycle", what would you suggest I do with the remaining live fish?   Is it possible to both keep them alive and NOT affect the the growth of the proper amounts of the proper types of bacteria by doing daily partial water changes (or every other day)?  Or what about leaving one fish in the new tank and moving one back into the small little tank that the original Fair fish lived in for 1 1/2 weeks before I got the 10 gallon tank?  I changed the water in that thing every other day - even sometimes did a partial water change on the in-between days.  It'd just been kicking around the house and I put it to use when he won the Fair fish.  My son originally had a couple of hermit crabs in it-it's probably a 1/2 capacity.  I am anxious for any suggestions.  Neither my son nor I can handle any more deaths.   :'(  Thank you so much for your help!

7. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

you could keep the fish in there, but do daily water changes (don't siphon the gravel, this will set back the cycle)
    If you want to have a really fast cycle get some BioSpira if you can find some.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice