Guinea Pigs?

Prism

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey! I was looking into getting some guinea pigs, but I need to know about all they need!
I'm interested in getting some myself?

First things first, is the cage. How big of a cage, or a glass tank do I need for 2 guinea pigs? Should I do DIY cages?
I'm really trying to keep two, so when I'm away, or busy they can still have some fun!

Do they make noise at night? I'm not really a heavy sleeper, but will they make noise by themselves at the night?
I'm wanting to get a guinea pig so bad, I'm trying to find out everything they need before getting them.

What bedding do you use for their tank? Does the bedding fall out of the wire cages?
How much do I need to be replacing the bedding, how often?

How often should I bathe guinea pigs?
I don't want to bathe them too much and them to get dry skin!

Do you have any care facts, and tips for me?
I've been looking into getting a guinea pig for a year now, this may be the time!!!

Their habitat is going to be in my room, so I don't care if they make any sounds in the day, just night.
I've heard that covering about half the cage at night calms them down, and will make them quiet?

I have to keep them in my room because I have a french bulldog, that I'm worried about.
He doesn't really much come into my room unless my mom comes in, but I have a pretty high dresser, maybe if a cage can fit up there he probably won't see them.
Thanks for any help given!

Goldfish@alma

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do some research here, they helped me get my buddies, Pretzel and Gus-Gus they have other links there

techfool

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Get two, they like company. IME the males are more mellow and friendly but they might need to be neutered.
No glass tank, the ammonia fumes build up too fast.
They are not escape artists so you could DIY but the dog gives me pause. It would have to be secure.
They need quite a lot of space, I would say the size of a rabbit hutch so you couldn't put it on your dresser.
They need hay. That gets everywhere.
They don't make a lot of noise but they do squeak and gurgle to each other.
They need fresh veg every day.
They don't need to be bathed.
Have you considered rats? They climb so you don't need as much horizontal space. They are smaller and friendlier. They don't live very long so not such a big commitment but that's actually why I don't keep them anymore, it was too sad losing them every couple of years. I did breed them which was great fun but then you have to find home for the babies.

Goldfish@alma

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I respectfully disagree, mine is very loud, especially when they see me coming, that is why they live downstairs. but they are silent at night. But, it does depend on the pig.
techfool said:
They don't make a lot of noise but they do squeak and gurgle to each other.

Claire Bear

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have two piggys-gizmo and alfie. I bought their cage on line for around 80 plus no shipping as I have Prime on Amazon. It came with a bowl for feed and I added a hay box plus it has a house for them already! Simple setup and I have bought them a few toys-no wheel-had one they didn't use it! Easy to clean as the lid raises and not too small for two adult pigs! Plus I have a round pig that I let them play in at times!
I am adding a picture of the cage.

OP
Prism

Prism

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Goldfish@alma said:
I respectfully disagree, mine is very loud, especially when they see me coming, that is why they live downstairs. but they are silent at night. But, it does depend on the pig.
Its depending on the pig, I've heard people say there pig is very quiet! Some are very loud, most people say to calm them down put a light baby blanket on there cage.
It will calm them, My area I can put it is about 5ft length, and about 2.6ft-3ft wide. Is that ok?

techfool

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Goldfish@alma said:
Yeah, the whistling when they hear the fridge door open ...

OP
Prism

Prism

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
techfool said:
Have you considered rats? They climb so you don't need as much horizontal space. They are smaller and friendlier. They don't live very long so not such a big commitment but that's actually why I don't keep them anymore, it was too sad losing them every couple of years. I did breed them which was great fun but then you have to find home for the babies.
Sorry! No rats, there in my room and my mom would come in with the laundry every day and freak out.
Sorry about that, hehe. I think they're cute but not my moms approval.

Claire Bear

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
for some reason the cage did not show up-here is the cage:

OP
Prism

Prism

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm hearing that guinea pigs are expensive by these three ways.
And how much should I replace there bedding?

If they get sick, Medicals & Vets.
Cages. (that's why I want to DIY, shortens like 150$)
Vegetables in the Winter.

claireputput said:
for some reason the cage did not show up-here is the cage:
I kind of want something to go on my floor, I'm going to build a DIY tank probably in the steps of Little Adventure.
What do you think of Little Adventure? I think her tank is pretty cool, what wood should I use for the tank building? Thanks for replying so quickly!!!!

Bettanewb

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Guinea pigs are a very huge commitment and I recommend doing tons of research. They have a lifespan of 5-8 years typically and consume a lot of time and money.

Like mentioned above they like the company of other pigs and do not do Well when kept solitary.

They require a lot of space in their cage and most cages sold at pet stores are not appropriate in terms of size. Google C&C cages. They also require "floor time" time outside of they're cage in a safe area of the house. A guinea pig cage of appropriate size would never be able to fit on a dresser.

They need daily fresh vegetables and some fruit on occasion as well as an unlimited supply of good quality hay to keep they're digestive tracts moving and they're teeth worn down as the teeth are continualy growing As well as a high quality pellet

Bedding I never used wood shavings I used a product similar to care fresh which is a paper based product.

They are not terribly noisy unless they are excited to see you or think they are being fed they do chatter to one another as well.

They can be sensitive little things and do require vet care like any other animal.

Hope that helps

OP
Prism

Prism

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would keep 2, if they make any noise in the day, heck I don't care.
What about beside my dresser?
Its about 5ft long, and 2-3ft wide. Would that be ok for 2?

I will take them out all the time, like everyday for how long?
I can go up to 5hrs, or maybe all day! (snack breaks for me and my piggy)

If not, maybe I can consider putting my 86g in my room, its empty.
But its more of a taller tanks, they don't like that.

Claire Bear

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have bathed my boys twice since I have had them-got them in December 2016. I have not had a problem with my boys glands-please read up on this.
I also have an exercise pen for them and two water bottles.
The cage I showed you is 48 inches long and about two feet wide with a top that offers ease of reaching them. I did replace the water bottle that came with it-I have two one for exercise pen and one for their cage
Their bedding is carefresh and I change it once a week.
I use Oxbow pellet food that is Timothy hay based and I buy their timothy hay online.
The cost of keeping them runs around 100 a month between feed, hay, and bedding.
I tried using the fleece floor but don't have time to train them to go potty as some have done-that would cut out some of the bedding costs.
I love Alfie and Gizmo and they squeal when I open the fridge as they think they are getting fresh vegetables (they get carrots and lettuce daily)

Attachments

dansamy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Two pigs minimum. Never one. Minimum of 10sqft cage for two. No wire or mesh bottom. No glass aquarium. They need wood to chew, fresh veggies and fruit, continuous access to hay - alfalfa and timothy when young and timothy when adult, source of vitamin C since they're unable to produce it themselves. They will learn your schedule. Every facet. Ours would whistle and squeak when they would hear my husband's keys in the door. They will sleep at night if you lightly cover their cage.

farhan1997

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Why is there a discussion about guinea pigs on this site ?

dansamy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
farhan1997 said:
Because this is in the other topics area and is specifically in the correct section for other pets - rodents.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
farhan1997 said:
Hi, many of our members keep other pets besides fish so we have an "Our other pets" board for them

farhan1997

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry .
Just joined here.
Didn't know about it.
:yuck:

farhan1997 said:
Sorry .
Just joined here.
Didn't know about it.
:yuck:
Sorry wrong smiley

Melissa Strange

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When I was a kid I had 2. They lived in a pretty large cage but on top of a dresser. They would climb on top of their little house inside and jump up to knock the top of the cage open. So we had to use cables to secure the lid. Then one day they managed to knock the entire cage off the dresser and it came crashing to the floor. Luckily it happened in the middle of the night which woke me up and was able to help them. So I always recommend them to be kept near/on the ground.

Bettanewb

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Prism said:
I would keep 2, if they make any noise in the day, heck I don't care.
What about beside my dresser?
Its about 5ft long, and 2-3ft wide. Would that be ok for 2?

I will take them out all the time, like everyday for how long?
I can go up to 5hrs, or maybe all day! (snack breaks for me and my piggy)

If not, maybe I can consider putting my 86g in my room, its empty.
But its more of a taller tanks, they don't like that.
I wouldn't recommend a tank for guinea pigs C&C cages are cheap and easy to make.

As much time as you can allow for floor time is great.

New Threads